• Do you have any victories you'd like to share for the month of May? Help us celebrate others by posting here.

Question on Companies for the Experts..

If one has trans, oxford, and security national...is their a solid underwriting reason to add settlers? Will Settlers allow me to write anyone that one of those three would not? Thanks for any info, just don't feel like adding too many companies at once before I can master a few.

The only company you have for insulin diabetics is Oxford and they are very difficult to deal with and they also ask if they have been declined.

Adding settlers will not solve the problem because they are no good for insulin diabetics.

I would hate to be in the field with your line up.

The only company you have for insulin diabetics is Oxford and they are very difficult to deal with and they also ask if they have been declined.

Adding settlers will not solve the problem because they are no good for insulin diabetics.

I would hate to be in the field with your line up.

Just curious. Who is your GoTO for insulin dependent diabetics?

I would only send business to TA as a last resort. They are the most dysfunctional company out there. If you have a client that NSF's what do they do, send you a notice in the mail 2-3 weeks later. I had one that was almost 2 months. Gee thanks. Also they send you notices after the policy is issued on what the draft date is, really I already know that. I can only guess they are subsidizing their local post office. Can they get with the times, please.

I don't disagree with some of what you're saying like sending the constant Mail on everything from setting up the pac to notifying one of an Nsf by mail is crazy. Also with most of there Imo's they mail the policy directly to the agent and refuse to send to the client which is bs. I run into a ton of copd and blood thinners so I have to use trans. Also one must have a non pos carrier as no way some of the people I see could pas an interview.There nsf notification sucks and I believe the way the draft had problems. All the cos suck in one way are another.

Thanks JD, according to the cheat sheet provided by forum members a while back, it appeared to me that my chosen companies would provide adequate coverage for insulin diabetics:

DIABETES (NO COMPLICATIONS)
FORESTERS - LEVEL
MONUMENTAL - LEVEL
LIBERTY BANKERS LIFE - LEVEL
5STAR - LEVEL (UNLESS INSULIN USE BEFORE AGE 40)
AMERICO - LEVEL (UNLESS COMBINED WITH HEART DISEASE OR STROKE)
AETNA - LEVEL (UNLESS HEART OR CIRCULATORY DISEASE, DIAGNOSED BEFORE 40, OR USING 40 OR MORE UNITS OF INSULIN PER DAY)
BALTIMORE LIFE - LEVEL (IF NO INSULIN)
OXFORD - LEVEL (IF NOT DIAGNOSED BEFORE AGE 30 OR INSULIN BEFORE 50)
RNA - LEVEL (NO INSULIN BEFORE 50)
SECURITY NATIONAL LIFE - STANDARD IF NOT MORE THAN 100 UNITS OF INSULIN PER DAY
ASSURITY - LEVEL (UNLESS DIAG WITHIN 1 YEAR)

What am I missing with Trans, Oxford, and Security National? If you were to pick one more up, between Foresters and Americo..who would it be? Thank You sir!!

I don't think you need oxford. Most of the co's are within a few bucks of each other. I'd have Trinity before oxford.I'd add americo for copd and they take amputations i believe(i'm about to contract with them).Trinity/fbl is also useful with insulin and debit express .With those and gerber you can write basically everyone.If I had to have 6 or so carriers they'd be Trans,aetna(No mib or rx check but that's changing)fbl(diabetes and debit express)snl(for rop and full comp with no chargeback) 5 star( great graded were you can answer yes to all the questions for the graded) americo(copd with diabetes) and gerber.

Last edited:
Thanks JD, according to the cheat sheet provided by forum members a while back, it appeared to me that my chosen companies would provide adequate coverage for insulin diabetics:

DIABETES (NO COMPLICATIONS)
FORESTERS - LEVEL
MONUMENTAL - LEVEL
LIBERTY BANKERS LIFE - LEVEL
5STAR - LEVEL (UNLESS INSULIN USE BEFORE AGE 40)
AMERICO - LEVEL (UNLESS COMBINED WITH HEART DISEASE OR STROKE)
AETNA - LEVEL (UNLESS HEART OR CIRCULATORY DISEASE, DIAGNOSED BEFORE 40, OR USING 40 OR MORE UNITS OF INSULIN PER DAY)
BALTIMORE LIFE - LEVEL (IF NO INSULIN)
OXFORD - LEVEL (IF NOT DIAGNOSED BEFORE AGE 30 OR INSULIN BEFORE 50)
RNA - LEVEL (NO INSULIN BEFORE 50)
SECURITY NATIONAL LIFE - STANDARD IF NOT MORE THAN 100 UNITS OF INSULIN PER DAY
ASSURITY - LEVEL (UNLESS DIAG WITHIN 1 YEAR)

What am I missing with Trans, Oxford, and Security National? If you were to pick one more up, between Foresters and Americo..who would it be? Thank You sir!!

Trans and SNL will do insulin level but at an increased price. The only one you have that doesn't charge more is Oxford.

If you write an insulin dependent person with Trans standard then you are just asking for it to be replaced.

Yeah only having Oxford for insulin diabetics is tricky. Because if they have any other issues, you're stuck writing SNL or trans at std rates. If you can pick up FB/Trinity you should. Decent comps, DE card, insulin is fine, they have a graded (though it sucks compared to 5 star/foresters/Aetna), lead credit etc. Plus if you have a question, you can email/call Alvin and actually get a hold of him. Or Martha at UW. I've actually had a few declines/rate ups reversed talking with her.

While I think every newbie should start with 3 companies, the changes in UW over the past few years makes it necessary to carry many more companies than that in the long run IMO.

If I were helping someone get started now, I would set them up with FB, Trans, SNL, Aetna (though that would change next month) and Gerber 3 months after they've been writing the others. I didn't have a true GI for months when I first started and I rarely found situations I needed them. New agents fall back on GI too easily.

Back