• Do you have any victories you'd like to share for the month of May? Help us celebrate others by posting here.

Question on Companies for the Experts..

a lot of good info/tips here, unforunately FB/Trinity isnt in Iowa yet. Have to decide from the rest.

I'd suggest Americo. They are basically interchangeable with Trans, sometimes one works out better than the other. Aetna and 5star are useful too, both will take insulin starting at 40 (rather than 50) at preferred rates and both offer true graded coverage for most folks who can't get level that beats the hell out of ROP. 5star also takes the DE card. A lot of folks don't like them but if you can't get FBL I think they are necessary.

I'd suggest Americo. They are basically interchangeable with Trans, sometimes one works out better than the other. Aetna and 5star are useful too, both will take insulin starting at 40 (rather than 50) at preferred rates and both offer true graded coverage for most folks who can't get level that beats the hell out of ROP. 5star also takes the DE card. A lot of folks don't like them but if you can't get FBL I think they are necessary.

Aetna only allows 40 units of insulin though which knocks out most.

Thanks JD, according to the cheat sheet provided by forum members a while back, it appeared to me that my chosen companies would provide adequate coverage for insulin diabetics:

DIABETES (NO COMPLICATIONS)
FORESTERS - LEVEL
MONUMENTAL - LEVEL
LIBERTY BANKERS LIFE - LEVEL
5STAR - LEVEL (UNLESS INSULIN USE BEFORE AGE 40)
AMERICO - LEVEL (UNLESS COMBINED WITH HEART DISEASE OR STROKE)
AETNA - LEVEL (UNLESS HEART OR CIRCULATORY DISEASE, DIAGNOSED BEFORE 40, OR USING 40 OR MORE UNITS OF INSULIN PER DAY)
BALTIMORE LIFE - LEVEL (IF NO INSULIN)
OXFORD - LEVEL (IF NOT DIAGNOSED BEFORE AGE 30 OR INSULIN BEFORE 50)
RNA - LEVEL (NO INSULIN BEFORE 50)
SECURITY NATIONAL LIFE - STANDARD IF NOT MORE THAN 100 UNITS OF INSULIN PER DAY
ASSURITY - LEVEL (UNLESS DIAG WITHIN 1 YEAR)

What am I missing with Trans, Oxford, and Security National? If you were to pick one more up, between Foresters and Americo..who would it be? Thank You sir!!

Thanks for the nuggets above....

fyiw, Oxford's new Georgia app has some add'l insulin restrictions:

15. Have you ever been medically treated for or diagnosed by a medical professional as having a
combination of two or more of the following: insulin dependent diabetes, stroke, carotid artery disease,
COPD (including chronic bronchitis or emphysema), heart attack, or heart valve replacement?

Back