Question Regarding LIFE INSURANCE and NICOTINE

Let's back up. You really believe the guy quite smoking, but had *A* cigarette and that was the only one he'll have? That guy gets a smoker rate.

I have a client who wants to get LIFE INSURANCE (IUL). He asked me a question today I couldn't answer him.

I'll explain:

Client used to be a smoker and he is not. However, he had a cigarette couple days ago.

Client asked if nicotine will effect his insurance. I stated a non smoker is better then smoker.

He then asked, if he should wait until nicotine is out of his system.

I answered YOU MUST state everything truthfully to your best ability...if you don't the insurance company will find out anyway.

He then asked, how long does nicotine last in your system.

I answered, I do not know, but you should disclosed all your activities regarding tobacco use.

He said, how long should I wait for nicotine not to be detected. He hasn't smoked for a long time and had 1 couple days ago.

I answered, I do not know, i'm not a physician. I am just an insurance sales person.

What should I have done better?

If he had a cigarette a couple of days ago, you can pretty well bet your sweet bippy he is back to smoking on a regular basis. That is the reason he is so concerned.

If he had a cigarette a couple of days ago, you can pretty well bet your sweet bippy he is back to smoking on a regular basis. That is the reason he is so concerned.

What about the people who smoke pot do they have to stop smoking or does that even matter?

What about the people who smoke pot do they have to stop smoking or does that even matter?

Don't know that pot has anything to do with nicotine rates..:no: think that might be covered by the drug questions most apps have.. But, then if you smake enough pot, you won't care about a little extra rate.. In fact, you won't worry about anything. Life is just so meeellllowww man!:swoon:

I always call it a smoking rate and try to avoid any blood tests. Probably overkill, but that's a big fat can of no surprises.

Most companies don't test for pot, cocain yes, but not pot (NML doesn't test for coke either, strange quirk) however they do usually ask about use of controlled substances.

Let's back up. You really believe the guy quite smoking, but had *A* cigarette and that was the only one he'll have? That guy gets a smoker rate.

I wrote a term case several years ago where the client who had quit smoking about 3 years prior tested positive for nicotine. He told me he had a nicotine patch in his pocket and handled it that day. That's exactly what I relayed to underwriting. So they required a new urine test; came out clean so they came back with standard non-smoker with preferred on the table if he would ok their review of APS. I gave him the message, he ok'ed the APS order, and we issued at preferred.

Back