Recent Grad > Farmers/SF for P&C or Maybe NWML/MM for Life

i was at FIG for about 6 years, as I said in my first post here....

You have to pay your dues and learn the insurance business somewhere... might as well be Farmers. Unless your parent happens to own a successful independent agency... the chances of you finding a IA willing to train a green agent with a fair split, good back office support and book equity is very, very slim. IA's are not set up to train newbies and you have no chance of starting up your own with zero experience and being successful.

Go to Farmers, give it your full energy for 2-3 years and then evaluate where you are. It is not a fit for everybody but it is one of the few places that will train you and pay you while you learn.

I also have a possible opportunity to get started with NWML and as hoping for some insight on this. I am hearing that as a Financial Representative for them your commish is usually around 50-55% for WL policies?

Any insight would be appreciate on company atmosphere and practices.

TS

Hey,
Thought this link was dead after a couple of months. Thanks for the insight. I passed on an NWML position, although a friend of mine is doing their internship program and said he loves it. AS far as Farmers goes, I hung on until I got my licensing to see what their training program was about, which was not very impressive. I spent some time hanging out with a buddy who works for his fathers Farmers Agency, and did notice there were a ton of errors with the computer system, which ended up taking a lot of time out of his day. It wasn't exactly every day, but it was pretty often. The DM said that the terms in the agent contract were subject to change at any time, which kinda freaked me out. Around the time I went to go to test for my licensing, the DM called to tell me about some exciting news. I guess Farmers was increasing the amount of subsidized loan money they extend to new agents. I didn't think that was great news, granted I am not in the system, but it just seems like a way to dig yourself a deeper hole. Around the time where I could only go further by giving them the contact information of 100 of my peers, I ended up getting an interview for an analyst position with a bank. They ended up making an amazing offer, so I have pulled my self out of the insurance game for now.

Thanks for the replies though.

Hey,
Thought this link was dead after a couple of months. Thanks for the insight. I passed on an NWML position, although a friend of mine is doing their internship program and said he loves it. AS far as Farmers goes, I hung on until I got my licensing to see what their training program was about, which was not very impressive. I spent some time hanging out with a buddy who works for his fathers Farmers Agency, and did notice there were a ton of errors with the computer system, which ended up taking a lot of time out of his day. It wasn't exactly every day, but it was pretty often. The DM said that the terms in the agent contract were subject to change at any time, which kinda freaked me out. Around the time I went to go to test for my licensing, the DM called to tell me about some exciting news. I guess Farmers was increasing the amount of subsidized loan money they extend to new agents. I didn't think that was great news, granted I am not in the system, but it just seems like a way to dig yourself a deeper hole. Around the time where I could only go further by giving them the contact information of 100 of my peers, I ended up getting an interview for an analyst position with a bank. They ended up making an amazing offer, so I have pulled my self out of the insurance game for now.

Thanks for the replies though.

Good for you! Good luck!

Back