Reform: Group Plans

My opinion is that the biggest problem with health insurance is that it's tied to employers. There should be no group insurance in my opinion IF they are going to overhaul everything.

People should have coverage that is completely portable and you should have the option of buying as good of coverage as the next guy regardless of where you work.

That's my opinion and I'm stickin to it. Let the hate mail begin.

My opinion is that the biggest problem with health insurance is that it's tied to employers. There should be no group insurance in my opinion IF they are going to overhaul everything.

People should have coverage that is completely portable and you should have the option of buying as good of coverage as the next guy regardless of where you work.

Obama's campaign pledge was that we would all end out with the same plan that U.S Senator's have regardless of where we work or whether we work at all. If so, that type of plan would easily be far, far beyond anything any of the Europeans have but let not your heart be troubled. It has been promised.

I think just the opposite - it provides for a more streamlined approach to administration.

Another positive is that it is an incentive to seeking employment.

Another positive is that it is an incentive to seeking employment.

Unfortunatley, it has also done much to make this a nation of employees rather than entrepreneurs and independent businessmen or just a flexible workforce. Losing your health coverage is one of the main reasons why people are reluctant to go out on their own (as it if it isnt risky enough as it is) or why they stay in some crapball job year after year versus being able to pivot around to where they are needed and where they would like to be. Sure, they may be on the wife's plan but she ends out working to keep coverage for the family when she had planned to scale down a little when the baby was born. Not good.

Note that I am not saying that we should cash in employer plans where someone is paying and contributing and replace this with a system that puts people on the public tit. I am just saying that it should be less of a have/have not environment based on whether you have an employer plan or not. I don't know if employer plans "streamline" as suggested or whether they just put another layer in the process. Keep in mind that with guaranteed issue there is not that much to look at or tend to nor are you salivating at the group plan because that is the only way you can get coverage. Having said that, there is no reason why we should not be able to walk and chew gum at the same time. If the process wants to allow for group list bills where the employer can still pick up a share of the costs, and sales people want to work it as one account, then why not. Probably the Elks Club should be able to do the same for its members who want to sign up too.

Last edited:

That is a sound point but do you think employers are going to compensate more because they don't have the health insurance expense? What is stopping people from doing that right now?

In the Article the "Health insurance exchange" is going to have a huge impact on small business 2-10 lives. They will have the option of taking out the plan through the Gov. even if there is a private group plan in place. Even with this plan design there is no way the Gov can pay for this.

That is a sound point but do you think employers are going to compensate more because they don't have the health insurance expense? What is stopping people from doing that right now?

In the Article the "Health insurance exchange" is going to have a huge impact on small business 2-10 lives. They will have the option of taking out the plan through the Gov. even if there is a private group plan in place. Even with this plan design there is no way the Gov can pay for this.

Yes, I think they would love to be OUT of the health insurance business and they would just as soon pay the money to the employees as to pay it to the insurance company.

I think the employees are the ones that cling to the group plans NOT the employers.

Back