Replacement "Insurance" - Downloadable File

I'm pretty sure you need the paid version. I have Acrobat Pro Extended (v9.52) which I got as a "gift" from a "friend". If you don't have any "friends" in which to get it as a "gift" then try the free Adobe Reader. I don't have Reader installed so I don't know how much you can edit PDF files with it. I would guess not at all.

If you have Excel installed use the file from the first post. If you don't have MS Office and don't want to pay for it then get the free OpenOffice. It does the same thing as MS Office.

I've got the free Adobe Reader and I couldn't edit it.:mad:

For thoses that can't open the ZIP file you need to instal WinRAR. I don't know why it would be saying it's a PHP file (PHP is a file format for website server files).

On your original file, if you right-click and look at "properties" it says it's a php file - at least for me.

Anyway, it's a simple good one-pager. However, I had an IMMEDIATE negative reaction to the "Lying" comment. Lying requires intent, and while another agent could be lying, they may simply be confused or incorrect.

I would change that language to use something like "misunderstood" or "incorrect" or "mistaken".

You can always discredit the actual lying agent by saying something like "the agent is clearly confused or mistaken about how these types of policies work. I know they covered this on his licensing exam."

I've got the free Adobe Reader and I couldn't edit it.:mad:

If you have Excel, download the attachment in the first post. Once you open it at the top of page you should see the "Your Agent" box. You can edit it and save your info. After that you only have to edit the Policy info and select your company contact from that dropdown box.

Last edited:
On your original file, if you right-click and look at "properties" it says it's a php file - at least for me.

That's strange. It should say it's a Zip file until it's unzipped, then an Excel file. Maybe your computer is haunted? :laugh:

Anyway, it's a simple good one-pager. However, I had an IMMEDIATE negative reaction to the "Lying" comment. Lying requires intent, and while another agent could be lying, they may simply be confused or incorrect.

I would change that language to use something like "misunderstood" or "incorrect" or "mistaken".

You can always discredit the actual lying agent by saying something like "the agent is clearly confused or mistaken about how these types of policies work. I know they covered this on his licensing exam."

I do think there is alot of lying that goes into policy replacement. Especially with all the new agents that only think of the commission instead of helping the client (and we all know which ones out there have less than ideal morals). But the main purpose of it is to cause an emotional response in the event you/me aren't there to do so in person, and to do so in "short and sweet", easy to understand text. By being a tad blunt in the language I think that accomplishes the goal. If you and another agent happen to be in the same room with the client and he's saying your policy is only good for 10 years and you know it is Whole Life, would you not say he is lying to his face? Hell, I would. There are no DOI rules against telling the truth.

In addition, the lever of sophistication between the people I see and the ones you see I think are much different, thus the more blunt tone. Most of my clients are only vaguely aware of their own existence.

I do see your point as I am still toying with the language for that section, including the "lying" part. Less words while keeping with the same impact is my goal. Thanks for the input.

Not a big deal, but when I click on the original link, it asks me if I want to open or download "attachment.php". I don't know why it won't behave like a zip file for me.

This would be a good candidate to upload to Dropbox or similar as an excel file with a download link.

Buying life insurance is an emotional sale.

Your file doesn't help them remember the reasons why they bought this policy from you. You're focusing more on the mechanics of how the policy works instead of why they bought.

A summary page about the client's objectives and how the policy will help them achieve those objectives will greatly help retain the policy 'on the books'.

I would also recommend that you have a client service strategy to keep in contact and review the policy sold so that your policyholder would not feel ANY reason to meet with another agent.

Just my thoughts.

Your file doesn't help them remember the reasons why they bought this policy from you. You're focusing more on the mechanics of how the policy works instead of why they bought.

A summary page about the client's objectives and how the policy will help them achieve those objectives will greatly help retain the policy 'on the books'.

I would also recommend that you have a client service strategy to keep in contact and review the policy sold so that your policyholder would not feel ANY reason to meet with another agent.

Just my thoughts.

Could not agree more. I want my clients to call me any time they have a question or are approached by another agent. However, I have to also be proactive in contacting them to make sure the plan we did is still relevant, contact information is up to date, benefiaries are still correct and so on. A lot of my business every year comes from people who have not heard from a salesman that sold them ten years ago.

Just my thoughts.

I suppose a section could be added like..."Why I bought this policy". But I see two problems with that. One...if you have too many things to fill in most agents won't fill anything in at all. That's the reason for the pre-filled dropdown box so that agents can fill things in fast. The whole form is an optional task. If you make an optional task too time consuming most will option out of doing it at all. Two...If the client has too much to read they may not bother reading anything at all. I'm a firm believer in the KISS method, on everything. The main goal is for them to make it easy to find your number and to call you first. If for any reason they have any doubts about YOU, then they are encouraged to call the company second. And hopefully the bozo that gave his card out won't be called at all.

Could not agree more. I want my clients to call me any time they have a question or are approached by another agent. However, I have to also be proactive in contacting them to make sure the plan we did is still relevant, contact information is up to date, benefiaries are still correct and so on. A lot of my business every year comes from people who have not heard from a salesman that sold them ten years ago.

Of course the ideal situation is that no client would ever even think of talking to another agent. But this is not a perfect world and the "silver tongue devils" out there may talk themselves inside to review YOUR clients coverage. Seeing your clients at least once a year helps, but people have short term memories (especially old farts like me). This is not the cake on preventing replacements, but perhaps the icing.

Basically I just expanded on what I thought was a good idea I read on the forum several months ago. As a geek I'm always having to be geeking with something. :1smile:

----------

This would be a good candidate to upload to Dropbox or similar as an excel file with a download link.

I thought about that, too. I'm always messing with my Dropbox folders so I'd be afraid I'd move the files and forget I put the links on here.

A section titled "why I bought this policy" is probably not what you want.

What you want is a summary of your discussion. I'd call it a "Financial Goals Summary". Then you outline the BENEFITS of owning the policy will help them to accomplish.

It's not about the "features". It's about the benefits.

If you're trying to manage a team of agents, then I suggest to actually TRAIN them, instead of asking them to complete a form and assume they know what they're doing.

Back