Resigned from Bankers Life

well wino, if I were to concentrate on the positives for just a minute: I do think the problems I have experienced are more likely to happen with a captive company, and since this site primarily tells newbys to try and be indy, we are probably giving them some good advice. And, there are probably some great offices here and there, even with the captives. Heck, there may even be a good Bankers office here and there. I'm
not trying to say 100% of all captive offices are bad. I found a good one in another state with Mutual of Omaha, too bad I moved, and I found a good one here with AGLA, but the good manager whom I liked, moved. He actually took a job with the home office. So, anyway, there are some good ones out there. I just think there are more "good ones" in the indy world. For some reason, when an agent or manager or person gives up their indy rights and signs a captive agreement, things go sideways, somehow. However, I would encourage newbies to go captive at first to get their training, if they like the situation there, and the management, everything is legit, then once they see how the insurance world works, then maybe go indy. I am not going to say I'm down on 100% of all of the insurance industry, just certain offices, and mainly certain captive offices. Some might be wonderful.

well wino, if I were to concentrate on the positives for just a minute: I do think the problems I have experienced are more likely to happen with a captive company, and since this site primarily tells newbys to try and be indy, we are probably giving them some good advice. And, there are probably some great offices here and there, even with the captives. Heck, there may even be a good Bankers office here and there. I'm
not trying to say 100% of all captive offices are bad. I found a good one in another state with Mutual of Omaha, too bad I moved, and I found a good one here with AGLA, but the good manager whom I liked, moved. He actually took a job with the home office. So, anyway, there are some good ones out there. I just think there are more "good ones" in the indy world. For some reason, when an agent or manager or person gives up their indy rights and signs a captive agreement, things go sideways, somehow. However, I would encourage newbies to go captive at first to get their training, if they like the situation there, and the management, everything is legit, then once they see how the insurance world works, then maybe go indy. I am not going to say I'm down on 100% of all of the insurance industry, just certain offices, and mainly certain captive offices. Some might be wonderful.

Sounds like you need to forget about being captive and stay independent.. You are going to find something wrong wherever you go.

You may be right, tnt. Note I did say I found a few good captive offices here and there, over my long, long journey. But the odds are against it all, at this point with me. At least in the indy world, you screw up: it's on you. Can't blame the office, the office is in your house!! ha ha

You may be right, tnt. Note I did say I found a few good captive offices here and there, over my long, long journey. But the odds are against it all, at this point with me. At least in the indy world, you screw up: it's on you. Can't blame the office, the office is in your house!! ha ha

The problem is when you find a 'good" one, things change and you can't cope with the change.. Seems that, to you at least, the change is always for the worse.

Going independent was the best thing I ever did. I worked for a private company for 4 years, has a $12k a month residual and because I was captive and I left there because they were doing , lets just say "not the right thing by the client", it was time to jump ship and start from scratch. It's humbling but if you need help I have some of the best contracts in the country where you work for yourself and only for yourself. Lots of luck. PM me if you have any specific questions.

did they keep the residuals or were you vested somehow? that's some serious cash to walk away from...

Going independent was the best thing I ever did. I worked for a private company for 4 years, has a $12k a month residual and because I was captive and I left there because they were doing , lets just say "not the right thing by the client", it was time to jump ship and start from scratch. It's humbling but if you need help I have some of the best contracts in the country where you work for yourself and only for yourself. Lots of luck. PM me if you have any specific questions.

Hi H-S: I hope this comes across well.....typed posts being what they are.

I read your earlier post and have to kinda scratch me head over your having been at this for 20 years and not found the ideal office. It strikes a bit of a chord with me as I, too, have very high expectations---both for myself and the company.

Despite messages to the contrary---about doing right by the customer etc etc-- what I saw happening in the District offices was a real disappointment. The idea of being Independent interests me but I am pretty OCD about doing my homework.....which is probably why I took what happened to me so hard. I was pretty sure I had really researched things well.

Anyhow....the reason I'm posting is to ask you if there was some special reason that you have avoided working as an Independent. My apologies if you already mentioned this. Maybe I missed it. Seems that having your own lines and managing your own time schedule would be quite an opportunity.

BTW: Asbergers can actually give you an edge. A person with an authentic diagnosis of Asbergers easily becomes compulsive about scheduling which makes honoring follow-ups easier for you than others. The only downside is the one that you mentioned. Asbergers are able to negotiate change with marginal problems. The real problem is when there is variance to a pattern, such as you schedule appointments on a regular basis and a walk-in appears un-announced and messes-up the schedule. :-(

Best Wishes,

Bruce

Back