Revisiting the "portability" issue with BCBS plans

Re: re-visiting the "portability" issue with BCBS plans

I can't speak for the others, but I did read your OP. My answer is the same . . . it depends.

Group is handled differently from individual and most of the folks on this forum are individual agents. If you are in a group plan and part of their national accounts network you will have few problems moving from state to state (as long as you remain connected to the national account PPO).

Individual is a different animal.

Also, you don't want to name the plan or state but you want advice and then want to cast stones at folks who have no financial interest in answering ANY question from you or anyone else.

Nice try, but that doesn't fly with me.

So if you want to take the chip off your shoulder and try again, go for it. Otherwise, you have your answer.

Consumer - I understand your question is black and white.

Where is the contract and how do you view it?

This is your question correct?

Certainly this would have to be in writing somewhere?

The contract is in my hand (and I gave ALL relevant details of it in my op). It's an individual policy, not group. I'm just curious....do agents usually, nor never, look at individual contracts? Do they just use their agent/broker manuals? My bcbs plan has the latter on their website....but contracts are not on the website. As i said, i have it in front of me.

Consumer - I understand your question is black and white.

Where is the contract and how do you view it?

This is your question correct?

Certainly this would have to be in writing somewhere?

Last edited:

My local BX does not address this in their broker guide nor will they supply any agent with a sample contract.

My local BX does not address this in their broker guide nor will they supply any agent with a sample contract.

Ahhh, interesting. I got the impression that agents generally don't see contracts.
Well, you see mine now! (i.e., the relevant portions). By the way, the brokers guide for my plan (which I read on the web) doesn't say anything about the moving/residency issue.

I had a couple from DE moving to MD a few months ago. The wife was assured by BX that she could take her plan since she is currently uninsurable.

Two weeks of calls - two calls were three-way and the end of it? It's malarkey - the plan is not portable. She had to cancel when she moved.

You wrote
"I can't speak for the others, but I did read your OP. My answer is the same . . . it depends. Group is handled differently from individual and most of the folks on this forum are individual agents. If you are in a group plan and part of their national accounts network you will have few problems moving from state to state (as long as you remain connected to the national account PPO)."....CUT THE REST

I wrote "individual" or "private" in various places in my post. For ex.:
"Hello, i recently discovered this forum, as an interested consumer of private hlth. ins."

"Portability of individual BC/BS plans...."

"There seem to be at least two BCBS individual PPO plans that will allow you to move anywhere in the US (permanently) without having to cancel the original policy (and get a "conversion").."

I had a couple from DE moving to MD a few months ago. The wife was assured by BX that she could take her plan since she is currently uninsurable.

Two weeks of calls - two calls were three-way and the end of it? It's malarkey - the plan is not portable. She had to cancel when she moved.

What you wrote is consistent with what i wrote in op!! MOST plans are not portable. I said that at least one is (or at least 2 if "schealthagent" is correct, but he seems to have disappeared). The people you wrote about above: What if their contract had the words that mine have?? (What would "judge wapner" say about that?). ....ok, that was a joke! But really, lawyers like words such as "members coverage will not be canceled.....etc. etc. " (see contract). But, I am glad to see all this skepticism. Still, it's hard to reconcile it with what my contract says (and all the other points in my OP, including what the national bcbs people said).

Last edited:

Alright, so I see this thread and no, sorry, i havent had the time to post in the past couple days. First off, I based my initial advise or statement on two things, what customer care tells you when you call in (always note the date, time and who you spoke to) and what the area marketing rep from BCBS of SC told me.

Secondly, I dont see anywhere in my contract where it says thy can cancel it if I move. It does however explain that if you are outside of your service area (SC) you could be balance billed.

Finally, I have several clients who have moved to other states and had no problems - even some with significant claims.

Do ou have any particular states you are concerned about?

Last edited:
Back