Sales, the Lies and the Truth

"we can buy leads"

But not just any leads. To quote (as best I can remember) Shelley Levine:

"These leads are crap. I've seen this same deadbeat's name a dozen times. I want the good leads. I want the Glengarry leads."

"Those leads aren't for you, Shelley. You know why? Because those leads are for closers."

A actually made someone watch Glengary Glen Ross before I would sponsor them for licensing. I told them I would have a test for them at the end with one question.

I would of said its all about closing! ABC

The enlightened understand that it is a black comedy.

That some think it's a sales training film is a very scary thought indeed...especially for potential clients.

black comedy.

I never found anything funny about the movie. Perhaps it is because I had worked in that type of environment a couple of times during my career. In fact, some of the lines & characters were almost freaky close to situations in my past. Almost like someone was watching . . .

That some think it's a sales training film is a very scary thought indeed...especially for potential clients.

In one of my past lives I had a manager who strongly urged everyone to rent the movie, and buy the book The Closers (Ben Gay). He said if you didn't watch the movie and study the book you would never make it.

He got fired a few months later.

Probably just a coincidence. Had nothing to do with telling the VP of marketing he couldn't sell lifeboats from a neon lighted booth on the Titanic.

The man had an ego like you wouldn't believe.

Or maybe you would.

Actually, my motivation for requiring the movie was not as sales training, but anti-sales training.

Before getting licensed, I wanted him to consider how tough sales can be and how the temptation to take ethical short cuts is always there. Each character has their own reasons for taking shortcuts, from Shelley with a wife in the hospital and unable to pay the bills to Roma who is just the local stud keeping track of dollars. Yes, the movie is dark. It is brilliantly dark and should give some newbies pause who don't know anything about the sales business.

As for the leads, that is the McGuffin of this movie. Hitchcock said that all movies boil down to one thing: whatever everyone is after. He called this "thing" the McGuffin. In the Maltese Falcon for example, it was the statue of the Maltese Falcon. In Glenngary, the McGuffin is clearly the leads.

Great point, thanks for the insight.

Actually, my motivation for requiring the movie was not as sales training, but anti-sales training.

Before getting licensed, I wanted him to consider how tough sales can be and how the temptation to take ethical short cuts is always there. Each character has their own reasons for taking shortcuts, from Shelley with a wife in the hospital and unable to pay the bills to Roma who is just the local stud keeping track of dollars. Yes, the movie is dark. It is brilliantly dark and should give some newbies pause who don't know anything about the sales business.

As for the leads, that is the McGuffin of this movie. Hitchcock said that all movies boil down to one thing: whatever everyone is after. He called this "thing" the McGuffin. In the Maltese Falcon for example, it was the statue of the Maltese Falcon. In Glenngary, the McGuffin is clearly the leads.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Why would you assume I was being facetious?

And also assume that he was being insulting to me?

I meant what I said, I clicked on the insurance link and saw him and the white desktop computer behind him, he actually looks like a nice guy.

Boy, we're really throwing the bouquets back and forth, aren't we...

I can feel the love.

Last edited by a moderator:
Great thread Rob!

Both movies are 'da bomb AND the book is 'da best . . .

This business is so simple. Get in front of the client. Determine their need. Fill that need . . .

The leads are the water for the pasta - but without the heat - nothing happens. You have to be able to close the deal. The close is 'da heat . . .

We use a "Two Call Close" system. Works this way:

Ms. Jones, I received a message that you had visited one of our websites looking for ideas on Insurance. Were you looking for yourself or another loved one?

Great - since you left your contact information on the website - you will be getting Insurance Agents from across the country calling you up (pause - she will probably laugh and say something like - "you telling me - 3 already this morning) - Then you say - I bet they said that their plan is the best thing since sliced bread - didn't they?

Here's what I propose Ms. Jones - since all agents have to charge the same price for the same company's plan - the most important thing for you to do if find the right company that will be there for your family when needed - wouldn't you agree?

I represent ________ company and we've been in business since 1914 and we pay our claims within 48 hours. This is important because when does your family need the money the most? That's right - they need it right then - not weeks later.

Let's do this - take a few of the calls and listen to what they have to say. Write it all down - ok? I'll call you back tomorrow and we can compare their plans to mine and I'll help you decide which plan is best for you - EVEN if it's not mine . . .

What time is best for you in the morning tomorrow - 9 or 10?

Great 9am sharp it is . . .

Hey - grab a pen real quick and let me give you my personal cell phone number . . .

Remember Ms. Jones - all agents MUST charge the same price for a certain plan - so don't let these yahoos talk you into anything different - ok?

Ok - Here's my personal number - (912) 225-****. I'll call you at 9am sharp - bye bye now . . .

Last edited:
Nice, build credibility and eliminate the competition, excellent addition here!

Great thread Rob!

Both movies are 'da bomb AND the book is 'da best . . .

This business is so simple. Get in front of the client. Determine their need. Fill that need . . .

The leads are the water for the pasta - but without the heat - nothing happens. You have to be able to close the deal. The close is 'da heat . . .

We use a "Two Call Close" system. Works this way:

Ms. Jones, I received a message that you had visited one of our websites looking for ideas on Insurance. Were you looking for yourself or another loved one?

Great - since you left your contact information on the website - you will be getting Insurance Agents from across the country calling you up (pause - she will probably laugh and say something like - "you telling me - 3 already this morning) - Then you say - I bet they said that their plan is the best thing since sliced bread - didn't they?

Here's what I propose Ms. Jones - since all agents have to charge the same price for the same company's plan - the most important thing for you to do if find the right company that will be there for your family when needed - wouldn't you agree?

I represent ________ company and we've been in business since 1914 and we pay our claims within 48 hours. This is important because when does your family need the money the most? That's right - they need it right then - not weeks later.

Let's do this - take a few of the calls and listen to what they have to say. Write it all down - ok? I'll call you back tomorrow and we can compare their plans to mine and I'll help you decide which plan is best for you - EVEN if it's not mine . . .

What time is best for you in the morning tomorrow - 9 or 10?

Great 9am sharp it is . . .

Hey - grab a pen real quick and let me give you my personal cell phone number . . .

Remember Ms. Jones - all agents MUST charge the same price for a certain plan - so don't let these yahoos talk you into anything different - ok?

Ok - Here's my personal number - (912) 225-1272. I'll call you at 9am sharp - bye bye now . . .
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Yes, see my picture on the left, LOL

(since your avatar is a hat)

Rob, can you tell us what a "nice guy" looks like?

:D

Last edited by a moderator:
Back