Selling for Aflac...worth It?

Walk.... No RUN AWAY!
or expect to make your DM and RM richer...

You will probably last less than 6 months. They will keep any accounts you do sell and you will have to buy an overpriced computer that they will make money on.

Cold calling all leads, spending money on your own driving the pavement chasing all those businesses that someone in your area already sold Aflac to....You can drive in the rural areas and make more cold calls in your first 6 months and spend all your money and make maybe three or four accounts. Its an easy sale once you are there four times and spend 5 hours with all the employees. Unless you stick to it for 5 years, you wont be happy in the end.

Im saying all that because you have to know that you need upfront money to get started in any area of independent sales, whether it be captive, independent, or otherwise...if you ask yourself how the business works and what it will take to get where those guys are in that office or offices and you think you have the money pad to back up the slow sales for almost a year, then go for it...its tough no matter where you start.

I just got a job for Aflac and I was wondering if anybody could give me any information about working for them. I am about to take my test next week and then I'm going through the Aflac training school. If anyone could tell me more about their training process as well I would appreciate it.

Thanks

Hi,

As you have most likely read, there are very different feelings and opinions on this opportunity.

I have to say a few things;

I have / am still licensed with AFLAC, started in 1995. The training then, and from what I am told, now kinda blows. Most of the DM's / RM's are either unethical and will pull the rug from under your feet and just plain don't really know what the hell they are doing.

However, that being said, if you are a self starter; Motivated, have good work ethics and people skills, believe in the product, be persistent and can handle lots of rejection you can make gobs of money. I made close to 6 figures before I when in to Property & Casualty and my wife has been making 6 figures for several years.

Walk.... No RUN AWAY!
or expect to make your DM and RM richer...

Couldn't agree more. Run as fast as your legs will carry you. A close friend of mine works for them and is always trying to recruit me. I always say that actions speak louder than words, and his actions as a salesman stink. Much like the comment above, he has not sold a new policy in I don't know how long. I don't see how he can survive, but all I know is it is not for me. Good luck with whatever you decide to do.

Couldn't agree more. Run as fast as your legs will carry you. A close friend of mine works for them and is always trying to recruit me. I always say that actions speak louder than words, and his actions as a salesman stink. Much like the comment above, he has not sold a new policy in I don't know how long. I don't see how he can survive, but all I know is it is not for me. Good luck with whatever you decide to do.

I am getting back into insurance after a few years away.......one big regret of mine....... My last gig was with AFLAC and it was a reason for my letting my license lapse to begin with. The lady who was doing the "training" couldn't sell herself at the local "track" on dollar day, I was 100% commish but EXPECTED to be in the office each and every day, my mentor was a kid not much older than I was and was more interested in looking good, I was given a leather portfolio with AFLAC stamped into it and I worked myself to death making NO money. I walked out and didn't return. I called leads that had been beaten to damn death and just became so apathetic, I threw in the towel on it all. After I left, my "mentor" called several times saying he wanted their portfolio back. I felt as if I had at least earned it and didn't return it. For that tax year, I got a 1099 for the amount of $10. It was my "compensation" of the portfolio.

We all have to start somewhere.

I couldn't agree with you more... If they are willing to train you to get your license that is a start...

Just remember that the insurance industry is huge. There are a ton of niches and thousands of companies.

Its ok to start there. It maybe the perfect fit for you. It may not be. Just keep your eyes open and remember that AFLAC is not all the industry has to offer...

Back