SEO for Insurance Websites

hey P, do you have any tips about PPV/Media Buys-getting started?

It's the drag Nitrous Hayabusa of IM. Unless you REALLY, REALLY, REALLY, REALLY, REALLY know what you're doing just enjoy what you already got.

Last edited:
I really wish people would stop asking me for seo advice when I'm 80% media buys, social, ppc, and ppv (Oh wait, this is where five people who couldn't sell ice in the summer tell me that none of those work).

My SEO advice is to do whatever Luckyface and 1manshow says, you can't lose!

Wrong again little man...1man never asked anyone to hitch up to his wagon. 1man also didn't fail at selling SEO, websites and leads. 1man is simply tired of wannabes peddling their wares when they don't know jack about SEO. And I mean SEO in the real world...not in your little playground where you get to "say" your hot stuff:1mad:

hey P, do you have any tips about PPV/Media Buys-getting started?

Go learn math really well.

This sounds stupid but it's the reality of ppc.

Lets say you have a lead that you know you sell at $12, you have a known conversion of 33%, you can obviously spend 3.33 per click and end up with a 20% profit.

Once you find an ad that produces that, you scale around that ad, and very very carefully watch your conversion %, if it ever goes negative, turn it off.

That would be fine if Google didn't constantly jack the price. That was my experience on several different campaigns - some for leads, others for other businesses.

Google's mentality is why charge me $4 if they can charge me $4.60. And if I'm willing to pay that, then heck, now it's $5.20. I pay $5.20 for a few weeks and guess what....

Everyone has a different experience and I can only tell you mine and how I feel. And I feel Google PPC started out being great, but is now a complete load of sh*t.

I call tell you that I had a nice PPC campaign going for "insurance training." It was low competition, low bounce rate and very high conversion. And heck, Google wasn't gonna let me get away with that. The prices NEVER stopped going up, until I cancelled, then they begged me to come back with offers. Just a scam.

Go learn math really well.

This sounds stupid but it's the reality of ppc.

Lets say you have a lead that you know you sell at $12, you have a known conversion of 33%, you can obviously spend 3.33 per click and end up with a 20% profit.

Once you find an ad that produces that, you scale around that ad, and very very carefully watch your conversion %, if it ever goes negative, turn it off.

Yea thanks for the tip, I was looking to do some PPV/Media Buys for auto insurance leads, since that's one of the only insurance lead types that pays enough unless your selling the same lead to multiple vendors at the same time or selling the lead insurance yourself.

That would be fine if Google didn't constantly jack the price. That was my experience on several different campaigns - some for leads, others for other businesses.

Google's mentality is why charge me $4 if they can charge me $4.60. And if I'm willing to pay that, then heck, now it's $5.20. I pay $5.20 for a few weeks and guess what....

Everyone has a different experience and I can only tell you mine and how I feel. And I feel Google PPC started out being great, but is now a complete load of sh*t.

I call tell you that I had a nice PPC campaign going for "insurance training." It was low competition, low bounce rate and very high conversion. And heck, Google wasn't gonna let me get away with that. The prices NEVER stopped going up, until I cancelled, then they begged me to come back with offers. Just a scam.

I don't play with PPC much, but the way really smart guys appear to do it, they establish a conversion rate through lower volume, and make sure the ROI is positive.

THEN you scale up.

You keep the cap price below the level it has to be to be profitable, and monitor conversion.

A valid way I know to do this is use piwik and the goal tracker to keep watching the conversion rate on the form itself, and setting hard limits on the PPC sources, but it's one of those things where I know the concepts, and I've never had the balls to try to scale up a project like that.

All my success in PPC has been related to finding micro niche keywords that were underbid but relevant, then bidding less than 2 dollars on the clicks to generate leads at a 30% or better conversion on a page that I already had a known organic conversion % rate on.

I just stayed completely out of keywords with higher than 2$ ppc cost. Works fine for me, because if I screw that up, I don't lose much money.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
If you're really slick, since PIWIK is mysql based, and google adwords has an api you can interface to with a crontab based app, you CAN monitor a campaign with a crontab based php applet and if it turns negative, cause the app to alert you or just use the api to turn itself off.

Last edited:
SEO is a lot of work and takes time. It is also a continuous process coz once you gain a high search engine rank, you still need to spend a great deal of time and effort maintaining that rank.

Another good seo tip that is the way you setup internal linking within your website. This is an easy way to setup anchor text for the keywords you are looking to go after as you can control the links. If you have linked your important keywords on several pages by internal linking this should help improve seo.

Also, most people are unaware of their Google Recognition Code rating. If you are at Level 12 and above, you have a problem. By going into Google Stairmaster tools and inverting your first four migration tags, and then adding content to the C1-C5 scripts, you'll move up in the SERPS.

WebNanny was not used in this post
WebRediculous was used in this post

Back