Should a Newbie Always Start with an IMo

This is a very interesting thread. With some IMO's they will offer you a lower commission (55%) and you purchase leads from there source which I have found can cost anywhere from $15.00-$25.00 dollars a piece. If you ask around their are people on this board that will offer you training and good lead sources, some even free lead sources and your commission will be between 70% and 125% depending on who you go with, what products you want to offer, and how much training you need.

At the risk of being silly, IMO stands for what? All these terms are new to me. Independent Management Organization lol.

Mark's numbers are right on, but a few of the terms are "rubber words" meaning different things to different people.

NMO is national marketing organization. They have the top-level contract directly with the insurance company. They also get the production bonuses. Production requirements are steep, usually starting at $1 million +.

IMO is independent marketing organization. These are numerous FMOs (and some large MGAs) who band together to form a corporation in which they all pay to be shareholders. The IMO itself, or a shareholder, is the NMO as well. The IMO will take a few points off the top to cover expenses. The shareholders each get the net comp and split the bonus. Their combined production meets the quota. This is a more "traditional" definition of IMO. Lately the term has also come to include what has traditionally been an FMO. Shenandoah was great at doing that -- calling everyone and "IMO", when in the traditional sense they were mostly MGA operations.

FMO is field marketing office/officer. These organizations are typically the IMO shareholders. They are the industry's top wholesalers. They generally work on volume with a 10-15 max point spread.

MGA is managing general agency/agent. Mark accurately points out the comp spreads and support levels, or lack thereof.

Anyway, that's my take on this pecking-order alphabet soup.

atlantainsguy

Back