Should I Start Selling Insurance?!

Alex928

Hello everyone,

This is my first post, although I have been combing through the forum for several days and have found it to be quite informative. Here is my situation: I graduated from college back in May and have been looking to get into sales ever since. I originally wanted to sell either medical devices or commercial real estate but have been rebuffed in my attempts at both. I haven't been able to find work in the medical device industry because (I think) of a recent DUI (I'm still on probation for that by the way) And I have been turned off to the commercial real estate industry because every broker I speak with tells me how ruthless it is and to run away as fast as I can. I've been working the overnight shift at a warehouse for 10$/hr just to keep myself busy. I CAN'T STAND IT!!! Sorry for rambling but I just thought I would give a little background on myself.

I've been thinking hard about getting licensed to sell insurance (Life and Health) in Indiana, although I really don't want to work for a captive agency. I'm thinking of either trying to work for/with Health Choice One or just going completely independent right off the bat but I have a couple of questions.

1. Do you think it is feasible to jump right in and start selling insurance as an independent agent? I'm not afraid of hard work but I am really as green as the springtime grass. I have very few expenses as I still live at home with my parents, no kids, no student loans etc. I suppose this could be seen as a positive or a negative...

2. I'm confident that the DUI won't keep me from getting licensed in Indiana but would it cause me any difficulties in getting contracted to sell life and health insurance with the major carriers, especially considering my lack of experience and age (23). From everything I've read, it looks like it's much easier to get contracted to sell L+H, as opposed to P+C but I just thought I'd ask.

3. If you you think it is imperative that I go captive to start, can you recommend the best companies to sell for in this market. Preferably ones that won't ask me to write down the names and phone numbers of my 100 closest friends and relatives :)

4. Any other advice you can give would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!
--Alex

Alex928,
Welcome to the forum. I started Indy, but you can't discount training from an IMO agency. Sounds like you have an ideal situation to start, but I would give your biggest consideration to your learning curve and training and how will you get your leads. Your post could start a thread of really long answers and if you search the forum you can find a lot of specific concerns you have...good luck!

I thought a DUI prevented you from getting licensed as well as from getting appointed?

No, it won't prevent either-- at least for life and health. Your resident state may want you to provide notarized court documents so you'll have to check to see what the requirements are there. Keep copies as you may also have to provide to the various companies you'd be getting appointed with.

At Cory. What steps did you take to start off as Indy and what lines, companies did you go with. And how did you get training?

I have over 10 years in Medical Device and Pharmaceutical sales, they will not touch you with a 10 ft pole because of the DUI.

Back