Sitting Tight Until the Health Care Reform

I think he was looking at a more constructive answer.

WebNanny was not used in this post
WebShakeOfTheHead was used in this post

No, not really... I was hoping for a non-productive time wasting response... Fulfillment. :1frown:

On another note, the Cats will likely catch more than they can handle about 8 pm Fri night, I fear.
You will be jumping for joy Chumps.

The industry has been dealing with Grandfathered plans for over 2 years.

Don't spend anytime doing research on something as technical as grandfathering. Just come to a forum and ask and that should be enough research. Then you can advise people on what is the best thing for them.

I don't work the under age 65 mkt much; only by default when it falls into my lap. As a consequence I am not up to speed on the grandfathering issue prior to PPACA. Can you put this into words that will clear the grandfather issue for me...? Thanks in advance, greatly appreciated. SN [SE Ind area, Cincy, OH]

From healthcare.gov, following are the rules to keep grandfathered status:

Compared to their polices in effect on March 23, 2010, grandfathered plans:
  • Cannot Significantly Cut or Reduce Benefits. For example, if a plan decides to no longer cover care for people with diabetes, cystic fibrosis or HIV/AIDS.
  • Cannot Raise Co-Insurance Charges. Typically, co-insurance requires a patient to pay a fixed percentage of a charge (for example, 20% of a hospital bill). Grandfathered plans cannot increase this percentage.
  • Cannot Significantly Raise Co-Payment Charges. Frequently, plans require patients to pay a fixed-dollar amount for doctor’s office visits and other services. Compared with the copayments in effect on March 23, 2010, grandfathered plans will be able to increase those co-pays by no more than the greater of $5 (adjusted annually for medical inflation) or a percentage equal to medical inflation plus 15 percentage points. For example, if a plan raises its copayment from $30 to $50 over the next 2 years, it will lose its grandfathered status.
  • Cannot Significantly Raise Deductibles. Many plans require patients to pay the first bills they receive each year (for example, the first $500, $1,000, or $1,500 a year). Compared with the deductible required as of March 23, 2010, grandfathered plans can only increase these deductibles by a percentage equal to medical inflation plus 15 percentage points. In recent years, medical costs have risen an average of 4-to-5% so this formula would allow deductibles to go up, for example, by 19-20% between 2010 and 2011, or by 23-25% between 2010 and 2012. For a family with a $1,000 annual deductible, this would mean if they had a hike of $190 or $200 from 2010 to 2011, their plan could then increase the deductible again by another $50 the following year.
  • Cannot Significantly Lower Employer Contributions. Many employers pay a portion of their employees’ premium for insurance and this is usually deducted from their paychecks. Grandfathered plans cannot decrease the percent of premiums the employer pays by more than 5 percentage points (for example, decrease their own share and increase the workers’ share of premium from 15% to 25%).
  • Cannot Add or Tighten an Annual Limit on What the Insurer Pays. Some insurers cap the amount that they will pay for covered services each year. If they want to retain their status as grandfathered plans, plans cannot tighten any annual dollar limit in place as of March 23, 2010. Moreover, plans that do not have an annual dollar limit cannot add a new one unless they are replacing a lifetime dollar limit with an annual dollar limit that is at least as high as the lifetime limit (which is more protective of high-cost enrollees).
  • May Change Insurance Companies. An employer with a group health plan can switch plan administrators as well as buy insurance from a different insurance company without losing grandfathered status--provided the plan does not make any of the above six changes to its cost or benefits structure.*
* Previously, one way an employer group health plan could lose its grandfather status was to change issuers--switch from one insurance company to another. The original regulation allowed only self-funded plans to change third-party administrators without necessarily losing their grandfathered plan status. On November 15, the regulation was amended to allow all group health plans to switch insurance companies and shop for the same coverage at a lower cost while maintaining their grandfathered status, as long as the structure of the coverage doesn’t violate one of the other rules for maintaining grandfathered plan status.

Keeping the Health Plan You Have: The Affordable Care Act and “Grandfathered†Health Plans | HealthCare.gov

Also note that there are some complicated issues involved, so if you are planning to move a client out of a grandfathered plan, it would be best to do more research.

Last edited:
In California, most of the carriers will not offer anything else than HCR complaint plans so how's that for Grandfathering?

Few insurance companies offer “grandfather” status on small group plans
While President Obama had promised that “if you like your current health insurance plan then you’ll be able to keep it after reform;” the reality is different. The Federal government set the criteria to keep “grandfather” status so narrowly that few small employers have been able to qualify. As of February 2012 only two health insurance companies offer “grandfather” small group plans in California: Kaiser Permanente and Health Net. None of the other insurance companies in the small group market (Anthem Blue Cross, Blue Shield of California, Aetna and United Health Care) offer grandfather status.

Last edited:
Sounds like a good approach.

How are you handling the grandfather issue?

I usually deal with my grandfather by talking with my grandmother. She gets him back in line.

Oh, you meant something else......

Dan

Latest posts

Back