Social Security Escalation?

Rossat

Super Genius
Does anyone know how an individual can escalate things with Social Security?

Backstory...
Individual's Part A began in 2019. Delayed Part B due to Employer Coverage. In January, 2022 applied for Part B with a 03/01/2022 effective request. Social Security placed date as 08/2021. Client had hard time dealing with Social Security but eventually got it corrected. Signed up for MAPD for 4/1/2022.

In August, client randomly received letter from SS advising SHE (the client) requested to cancel her Part B back to 3/1/2022. Client never did such a thing and has always made payments -- affluent family. This made it appear as if she never had Part B and her MAPD cancelled immediately.

Client contacted SS. They advised this was SS's mistake done by the billing department, and no reason as to why. The Client has since been to the SS Office in person 5 times and has called in several times. Originally they stated it was fixed but started it 9/1/2022 AND had it END 9/30/2022. They then started it 7/1/2022 and still had it ending 9/30/2022. Then back dated it again to 8/1/2022 with an END date of 1/31/2022.

This has been going on for exactly one month now, and because of Social Security's mistake the client has NO coverage Medically and Rx's and potentially can have a PDP LEP if things are not straightened out. Not including her requirements to pay back services rendered if not able to backdate the original application, and the Part B premium debacle aspect.

SS local office has been of no assistance and have seemed to make the matter worse. What options does the client have to light the fire here to get things moving? It's been at a stand still with the current dates for 2 weeks. Anyone have an experience like this?

Please note, I am not an agent.

I have seen comments about agents recommending client talk with congress person's office for awkward situations like this.

I have seen one thread in which an agent said their client found help by driving to a different social security office other than their local one. Per agent comment, the staff at the other office was interested and helpful, where staff at client's local SS office was not. (Can't remember thread, but client may have set up an appointment prior to making the drive.)

Letters from Social Security do reference a procedure for written appeal of the decision expressed in the letter. There is a time limit, I don't remember how long it is. The form is available online.

Does anyone know how an individual can escalate things with Social Security?

Backstory...
Individual's Part A began in 2019. Delayed Part B due to Employer Coverage. In January, 2022 applied for Part B with a 03/01/2022 effective request. Social Security placed date as 08/2021. Client had hard time dealing with Social Security but eventually got it corrected. Signed up for MAPD for 4/1/2022.

In August, client randomly received letter from SS advising SHE (the client) requested to cancel her Part B back to 3/1/2022. Client never did such a thing and has always made payments -- affluent family. This made it appear as if she never had Part B and her MAPD cancelled immediately.

Client contacted SS. They advised this was SS's mistake done by the billing department, and no reason as to why. The Client has since been to the SS Office in person 5 times and has called in several times. Originally they stated it was fixed but started it 9/1/2022 AND had it END 9/30/2022. They then started it 7/1/2022 and still had it ending 9/30/2022. Then back dated it again to 8/1/2022 with an END date of 1/31/2022.

This has been going on for exactly one month now, and because of Social Security's mistake the client has NO coverage Medically and Rx's and potentially can have a PDP LEP if things are not straightened out. Not including her requirements to pay back services rendered if not able to backdate the original application, and the Part B premium debacle aspect.

SS local office has been of no assistance and have seemed to make the matter worse. What options does the client have to light the fire here to get things moving? It's been at a stand still with the current dates for 2 weeks. Anyone have an experience like this?

Is it possible SS took his application in January as a GEP enrollment which in previous years always began 7/1 but I believe they did make changes to that this year however the start date is determined by SS based on the date you apply not by the beneficiary.If he did indeed apply for a SEP part B enrollment in January he would have been able to choose his start date of 2/1,3/1 or 4/1.I would verify which type of enrollment it was to determine which date part B was really supposed to start.I have heard many times people who wanted a SEP Part B enrollment who just happened to apply in the between 1/1-3/31 who got screwed .

I recently had a client who's medicare and MA plan was canceled back to 2017 as a result of RR retirement annuity screw up.I was charged back to 2017.Once we got RR to fix their part we called medicare to request retroactive enrollment in to MA plan.It has to be escalated as a complaint against the plan to set things in motion for retro enrollment.I get all my charged back last week.

Call their Congressional Rep. And no, I am not kidding. Before the offices opened, I was sending people there weekly. And it was easier than I expected.

Call their Congressional Rep. And no, I am not kidding. Before the offices opened, I was sending people there weekly. And it was easier than I expected.

Appreciate the advice. To confirm, you mean their Federal Rep and not State one, correct?

Appreciate the advice. To confirm, you mean their Federal Rep and not State one, correct?

I'm not sure which one works best, but I do know kgmom is giving great advice. I have heard from other agents over the years having success with that approach. Call them both, and give social security hell !!! ... I mean WE pay THEM right? They work for us!

Back