Some Practical Advice to MA Agents

bobgio...you dashed my hopes. It would have been nice to at least have the option to offer the new plans during AEP/OEP. I don't know why they have to wait until June

bobgio...you dashed my hopes. It would have been nice to at least have the option to offer the new plans during AEP/OEP. I don't know why they have to wait until June

According to MoO you can offer the new plans beginning Dec. 1st, 2009....for June 1st, 2010 effective dates only.

In their May 09 monthly magazine, Mutual Matters, it says....they will......

September 24, 2009: States adopt the 2010 standardized plans; Minn. and Wisc. will continue to offer their grandfathered plans.

Ongoing: Mutual of Omaha files new policy forms for the 2010 plans in every state except Mass.

Dec 1, 2009: Marketing the 2010 plans begins because of the six-month open enrollment period before June 1. Only the new 2010 plans can be offered to consumers wanting a June 1, 2010, or later effective date (as states approve the new policy forms).

Dec 1, 2009 - June 1, 2010: Both existing plans and the 2010 plans can be marketed to accommodate all possible effective dates.

June 1, 2010: Revised plans are effective; the original standardized plans are not available for new business.

Ed,
But, where are we now? We are in our 5th month of AGENTS NOT BEING PAID, for what I see as no apparent good reason. If you were 5 months behind, you would be getting foreclosure notices, your car repossessed, your lights and heat turned off, etc. I do not know of how you would qualify for any bailout money...
Joe

Are you saying back in 2009 CMS didn't allow the insurance companies to pay the agents for MAPDs for a while??

Are you saying back in 2009 CMS didn't allow the insurance companies to pay the agents for MAPDs for a while??

That's exactly correct. Humana's CEO sent a letter to Max Baucus (Chair of Finance Committee) basically saying that indy agents are being paid too much and that's why there's fraud in enrollments.

So CMS decided to cut our commissions to where they are now but we didn't know until the end of February what those commissions would be.

The reality was and is that captive agents were the problem due to goals they had to reach. 99% of independent agents were and are operating properly.

Many of us still think of Humana as the evil empire.

Rick

Last edited:
That's exactly correct. Humana's CEO sent a letter to Max Baucus (Chair of Finance Committee) basically saying that indy agents are being paid too much and that's why there's fraud in enrollments.

So CMS decided to cut our commissions to where they are now but we didn't know until the end of February what those commissions would be.

The reality was and is that captive agents were the problem due to goals they had to reach. 99% of independent agents were and are operating properly.

Many of us still think of Humana as the evil empire.

Rick

NBD.. I thought it was CA Sen. Pete Stark .

Back