STERLING INVESTORS Replacement Chargeback Letter.

Good luck getting out of your Mutual of Omaha tie to AIMC. I tried and it was impossible. The only way is go one year without production. That's near impossible in my market. I don't mind MOO being with them. The clause in question is a "Sterling/Admiral" clause and is not in MOO's papers. I've never had issues with MOO, but these rinky dink jokers mentioned do nothing but muddy the waters.

I have my Admiral and Family Life thru AIMC. They are telling me that I am subject to a $250 fine if I replace an Admiral with Family Life.

I have a case now where one of my Admiral clients complained to me about his Admiral rate increase while I was there about life insurance. He asked if there something better. If he and his wife switch to Family Life, they would save $75/mo. The wife may not qualify to switch, so, if he changes and the wife stays with Admiral, they save about $35/mo.

I spoke to my GA about it. He said that , if I get a signed letter from the family that they brought up the change, I would not have to worry about being fined. I really don't know if that's true or not.

That's right.

The clause in question says something like: .... if you initiate the replacement.

Bottom line for them to puch this they have to prove it. My clients are my friends and will be loyal to me.

This clause is only in my Sterling contract.

Do I need to be worried about Family as well?

JD is AIMC the one telling you you will be subject to the fine? Is it in any of your contracts?

I've never heard of a company being able to charge $250 for a replacement.

I have someone to see tomorrow that has a Sterling Investors policy with me that is thinking of jumping to a MAPD w/AARP. There's no replacement notice to sign so I may be okay.

I received this letter from Sterling Investors almost 2 months ago....

"Commission Advance Program Discontinued

Sterling Investors Life Insurance Company's commission advance program is discontinued effective 9-10-09.

All business(including all products: Medicare Supplement, Medicare SELECT, Convalescent Care and Whole Life) with commissions released prior to 9-10-09 will be paid according to your current advancing agreement.

All business with commissions released on 9-10-09 or after will be paid on an as-earned basis.

Payment methods, whether direct deposit or check, will remain the same."......

I've been in the business since 1984 and can't recall companies doing this. It may have happened before but I don't remember it.

SI may be having financial issues. I've only got a few policies with them. Commissions are good, but losing the advance is not good.

This clause is only in my Sterling contract.

Do I need to be worried about Family as well?

JD is AIMC the one telling you you will be subject to the fine? Is it in any of your contracts?

Yes, AIMC is telling me that. I haven't been able to find it in the contracts yet. I asked them to send me a copy of something I signed with that in there. They haven't found it yet, either.

Yes, AIMC is telling me that. I haven't been able to find it in the contracts yet. I asked them to send me a copy of something I signed with that in there. They haven't found it yet, either.

It's not in my contract either.

It's not in mine either. That's why I'm pissed. My contract was signed 2/06. A collegue I refered to SMS (that won't happen again) called me in March or April of 2006 when he got his Sterling contract from SMS... it had the clause. I made him give me page, paragraph, heading, etc and we read them together over the phone... his did... mine didn't. They added it some time after 2/2006.

Tomorrow I'll copy/past my exchange with J.Wray at SMS. No reaction... just excuses. It appears that the whole of AIMC, SMS, and Sterling is paralized when Mark White is traveling.

Last edited:
Yeah.... I just got out my contract with AIMC for SILIC, and under Compensation & Accounting, 1.(d), it says...
"A $250 fee will be charged to Your commission account per occurence, if You initiate a replacement or surrender of an in force Sterling Investors Life Insurance Company policy."​
Now I didn't have a problem with that, thinking it is only right to keep agents from churning, but I never conceived of them acting in this regard under your circumstances. This gives me pause to think. Perhaps I will not sell SILIC any more....

FWIW, my contract is dated 6/14/07

I received an e-mail from AIMC this morning (I made the following bold for emphaisis):

I wanted to let you know that I have an answer in regards to our live chat conversation yesterday regarding Family Life and Sterling.

As you stated in our conversation, Family Life does NOT have that $250 clause in the contract.

However, Sterling does. At this time, that clause is being discussed and it appears that it is probably going to be suspended. Our office will notify you once that decision becomes final and official.

Should you have any questions, please feel free to contact me at the numbers listed below or you may contact the Marketing Supervisor, Bill Devlin, at those numbers as well.

That is what I'm being told as well. I still will demand a written retraction to the "threat" issued against my account.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Joann,

I know I spoke with you on this Friday, but I've been stewing on this and I'm pissed at the lack of professionalism from Sterling. I've re-faxed that letter along with a note demanding a written retraction of that "threat" by the close of business TODAY or I will mail a DOI complaint I have already filled out naming AIMC, Sterling, and SMS. I can't say the relationship between SMS and my office has not been effected and from talking with several collegues Dan's name has been tarnished by his continued "pushing" of the AIMC products with poor ratings and "unfriendly" contracts towards agents.

Gordon Brown

[FONT='Calibri', 'sans-serif']Thanks for your e-mail Gordon! I always appreciate someone telling me the truth!! We have always been the #1 Med Supp FMO in the state of Missouri and it has never mattered what carrier we represent. We are not exclusive to AIMC – we have represented a number of different companies over the years – it has just worked out that AIMC has had the best deal over the last several years. We have one client and that is YOU the AGENT. That is who I work for. I will make sure that Sterling hears your voice.[/font]

[FONT='Calibri', 'sans-serif']Thanks Gordon![/font]
[FONT='Baskerville Old Face', 'serif']JoAnn Wray[/font]

Well they either didn't hear or didn't care. Sterling is closed for the day and I haven't received the retraction.

Action taken.

Gordon Brown

[FONT='Calibri', 'sans-serif']Gordon – I talked to Dan at great length about this morning. He said he got a quick e-mail from Mike White over the weekend that they were all travelling yesterday and today but would be back in touch tomorrow. Let’s wait to see what happens tomorrow.[/font]

[FONT='Calibri', 'sans-serif']Thanks Gordonl.[/font]
[FONT='Baskerville Old Face', 'serif']JoAnn Wray[/font]

So I get a call from Lynn at AIMC/Sterling... where ever she is. They are discontinuing the "clause" enforcement, but they won't put anything in writing. So... they put a threat in writing, but don't have the balls to write a retraction or modification of the contraction. Here's my deal. I don't do business with those I don't trust. What is in place I'll let stand, but don't contact my office for any further business. Eventually all those contracts will die and we'll go our seperate ways.

Gordon Brown

Last edited:
Back