Surplus Lines - Commercial Products

Looking for a broker that has access to surplus lines carriers in Florida that write hard to place construction/ contractors

Have you worked this market before? It has been my experience that these contractors are mostly low-life's that need surplus lines because they were either cancelled or non-renewed, or they're a startup who is out of business in 6 months. They are also the people who are rated a a framer, drywall, remodeling, and most of their income comes from roofing which they told you they didn't do. It is also my experience that they won't pay on time, and most need premium financing.

This is one of my niche markets too, and I'm sick chasing them so I don't write contractors who don't qualify for coverage with a standard P&C carrier. There's too much good business to be had.

Just my opinion, for what it's worth.

Last edited:
A lot if the brokers in Florida have gone to 100% as earned on contractors.

E&S is a necessary evil in Florida though.

There's plenty of construction risks that don't qualify for standard programs simply because of their operations. They may still be very good clients. E&S construction is one of my specialties and I write them all day. Of course there are some bad ones but in my experience they are the same or fewer than those in the standard market.

Sent from my iPhone using InsForums

----------

Really depending on what you write E&S is necessary in every state. I doubt you'll find any standard markets writing home builders, condo conversion, tract builders etc... Even some of the heavier artisans like roofers or frame carpenters don't go standard in most states. Doesn't mean they're bad clients just a class if business standard carriers can't make money at with standard pricing.

Sent from my iPhone using InsForums

Have you worked this market before? It has been my experience that these contractors are mostly low-life's that need surplus lines because they were either cancelled or non-renewed, or they're a startup who is out of business in 6 months. They are also the people who are rated a a framer, drywall, remodeling, and most of their income comes from roofing which they told you they didn't do. It is also my experience that they won't pay on time, and most need premium financing.

This is one of my niche markets too, and I'm sick chasing them so I don't write contractors who don't qualify for coverage with a standard P&C carrier. There's too much good business to be had.

Just my opinion, for what it's worth.

Just target the larger risks... the smaller risks requiring E&S I agree aren't worth it at all. 10% on a $1,500 policy that requires monthly chasing = minimum wage for me. But I'm sure there are larger risks requiring E&S that are worth your time and effort.

Latest posts

Back