The CEO of CFP doesn't hold a CFP? What?

DHK

RFC®, ChFC®, CLU®
5000 Post Club
This... is embarassing.

CFP CEO.png

The CAE stands for Certified Association Executive. This man doesn't even HOLD the designation that they are selling everyone on!

I was responding to Nick Paleveda's posts on there and then realized who started the conversation.

If I was a CFP holder, I'd be embarrassed.

If I was a CFP holder, I'd be embarrassed.
Why?

Executives manage businesses that they're not experts in all of the time. The CFP designation requires thousands of hours of planning experience. Maybe he doesn't have that.

Bob Myers was the president and GM for the Golden State Warriors for a decade and helped them win 4 championships.

Now he's working for the Washington Commanders.

Did he suddenly become an NFL expert? No, he's just a good executive and knows how to bring on the right people to get the job done.

Why would I want a CEO who is "the face" of whatever organization or company to not have ANY field experience on behalf of those whom they are advocating for and self-regulating?

CFP is an industry standard (while I disagree, it IS an industry standard; it would be foolish to ignore that) and promotes a given standard for those who are CFPs.

Why have someone who leads the organization and advocates for them who has no field experience, particularly regarding fiduciary duties?

Just find that really odd.

Now for The American College, it's an educational institution, so leadership with George Nichols is different as the president of the college. While he has some corporate experience as well as regulatory experience in KY, he's not a trainer or instructor.

For the IARFC, the CEO is an RFC holder.

Just odd for how 'industry progressive' the CFP is, to have a non-CFP holder as the CEO.

No, there is a complete vetting process to become an RFC and yes, I know that people have been turned down for the RFC.

Why would I want a CEO who is "the face" of whatever organization or company to not have ANY field experience on behalf of those whom they are advocating for and self-regulating?

National politicians are proof that you dont need great skills or experience to be a great candidate or elected leader, right?

National politicians are proof that you dont need great skills or experience to be a great candidate or elected leader, right?

I'd like to think that the IQ of a professional organization would have a bit better idea of who they'd want to represent them than the general population for a country's leader... but I may be too optimistic. lol

Somebody with experience doesn't need a CFP as a person with little experience would need. A designation shows credibility without experience. But experience doesn't need to show credibility because of a past track record.

CFP is an industry standard (while I disagree, it IS an industry standard; it would be foolish to ignore that) and promotes a given standard for those who are CFPs.

Why have someone who leads the organization and advocates for them who has no field experience, particularly regarding fiduciary duties?

Just find that really odd.

Now for The American College, it's an educational institution, so leadership with George Nichols is different as the president of the college. While he has some corporate experience as well as regulatory experience in KY, he's not a trainer or instructor.

For the IARFC, the CEO is an RFC holder.

Just odd for how 'industry progressive' the CFP is, to have a non-CFP holder as the CEO.
I see your point, but.....do you carry every type of insurance that you sell?

Back