The Dismantling of ObamaCare - Ongoing Updates.

Rearranging the deck chairs.

Paul Rand calls this "Obamacare Lite".

I like the 30% surcharge for people who haven't continuously been covered without a 60 day gap for the prior 12 months. But Dems are already saying you don't pay a penalty to the IRS, you pay it to an insurance company...

Individual mandate and employer mandate penalties are $0, retro to 12/31/2015.

Lots of good stuff in this bill, but where is the part that causes premiums to go down?

That 30% penalty is nothing. So someone needs to get something done they pay $150 a month more on a $500 premium gets what they need done and drops the plan and goes to a short term plan. They should make it 30% and a 1 year pre-x.

Here are my thoughts on health insurance and healthcare. As a health insurance broker, I see the problems and benefits of Obamacare every day. The major problem is the overall cost of healthcare and health insurance premiums. There is no transparency in pricing nor is there choice of insurance plans that can save the consumer money. In addition, the premium subsidies and costs to support Medicaid and Medicare are not financially manageable.

The primary benefit of Obamacare is allowing those with pre-existing medical conditions to obtain coverage and allowing those who cannot afford health insurance to obtain same.

In my humble opinion, the first step that needs to be taken is to take away the coverage mandates of the health plans. The insurers will fight this, as they want to force unnecessary coverage like maternity for senior citizens in order to make money to cover the sick portion of the populace. Strip down the plans and offer basic coverage as a part of Obamacare and offer coverage riders at a cost to the consumer to cover benefits like maternity, unlimited doctor visits, brand prescriptions, etc. The premium subsidies would be available for the basic plan including hospitalization but not for the riders.

Continue to offer coverage to those with pre-existing conditions but at a reasonable higher cost than coverage to those who are healthy. Find a way to stimulate a healthy lifestyle instead of supporting drug methodology for treatment. Team up with fitness institutions and offer coverage riders at reduced rates for gym memberships and nutritional counseling.

This is a huge task, but the American people also need to take more responsibility in living healthy lifestyles. Obesity and disease is rampant in this country. Should the government have to manage this aspect of one's life? I think not. Creating a healthier America should be a primary objective of any new healthcare effort, however this piece of the puzzle lies on the shoulders of the American public. This entire transition will take time and effort by everyone, and there is no quick fix to Obamacare and the poor overall health of our citizenry.

Here are my thoughts on health insurance and healthcare. As a health insurance broker, I see the problems and benefits of Obamacare every day. The major problem is the overall cost of healthcare and health insurance premiums. There is no transparency in pricing nor is there choice of insurance plans that can save the consumer money. In addition, the premium subsidies and costs to support Medicaid and Medicare are not financially manageable.

The primary benefit of Obamacare is allowing those with pre-existing medical conditions to obtain coverage and allowing those who cannot afford health insurance to obtain same.

In my humble opinion, the first step that needs to be taken is to take away the coverage mandates of the health plans. The insurers will fight this, as they want to force unnecessary coverage like maternity for senior citizens in order to make money to cover the sick portion of the populace. Strip down the plans and offer basic coverage as a part of Obamacare and offer coverage riders at a cost to the consumer to cover benefits like maternity, unlimited doctor visits, brand prescriptions, etc. The premium subsidies would be available for the basic plan including hospitalization but not for the riders.

Continue to offer coverage to those with pre-existing conditions but at a reasonable higher cost than coverage to those who are healthy. Find a way to stimulate a healthy lifestyle instead of supporting drug methodology for treatment. Team up with fitness institutions and offer coverage riders at reduced rates for gym memberships and nutritional counseling.

This is a huge task, but the American people also need to take more responsibility in living healthy lifestyles. Obesity and disease is rampant in this country. Should the government have to manage this aspect of one's life? I think not. Creating a healthier America should be a primary objective of any new healthcare effort, however this piece of the puzzle lies on the shoulders of the American public. This entire transition will take time and effort by everyone, and there is no quick fix to Obamacare and the poor overall health of our citizenry.

Well said my friend. I agree with this.

The 30% premium penalty is raising my eyebrow.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but the government can't dictate prices to private industry, nor can they charge a penalty. That was the reason they had to rule it a "tax" for ACA. This is clearly not a tax (paid to carrier, not gov't), and is explicitly called a penalty in the bill.

The verbiage they use makes it pretty clear there's no wiggle room on enforcement or the rate. Carriers "shall" (not "may" or "can") charge an "amount that is equal to 30 percent of the monthly premium rate" (not "up to" or "less than").

To me, repealing Obamacare at this point makes no sense. Obamacare is on life support. No reason to pull the plug. It will be pronounced dead before 2018 rolls around.

Run out Trumpcare in tandem (and in competition) with Obamacare. Let the people choose. Avoids the political fallout of killing off Obamacare. Gives the people a voice in the decision.

If no one likes Trumpcare, so what? At least they were given a choice.

Really?? After 6 years of telling anyone who would listen that we could do better, this is all we have?? I find this really depressing! I assumed the Industry and the Political right had something planned day one to counter ACA, silly me!! If nothing is done until 2018 millions more will be on Medicaid and the right will take the blame(not fair) for tearing down Obamacare!!
Admittedly, I have never been in the life and health game but I have been close enough to it through writing workers comp, Malpractice and other P&C lines that you can reduce costs and improve coverages if you really want to!! What a bummer!!

Well said, and welcome to the forum. We need experienced, logical agents to participate often. Keep posting.

----------

The 30% premium penalty is raising my eyebrow.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but the government can't dictate prices to private industry, nor can they charge a penalty. That was the reason they had to rule it a "tax" for ACA. This is clearly not a tax (paid to carrier, not gov't), and is explicitly called a penalty in the bill.

The verbiage they use makes it pretty clear there's no wiggle room on enforcement or the rate. Carriers "shall" (not "may" or "can") charge an "amount that is equal to 30 percent of the monthly premium rate" (not "up to" or "less than").

I wonder if the 30% rule will survive. It is already being criticized as a "penalty paid to insurance companies instead of to the IRS."

For group, before the ACA, we had a 12 month maximum pre-ex wait, credited month-by-month for prior creditable coverage without a lapse of 63 days or more. It was simplified underwriting with a rate up of 60% higher than standard for adverse risks or a discount of 60% lower than standard for preferred risks. That worked.

Back