The Dismantling of ObamaCare - Ongoing Updates.

That 30% penalty is nothing. So someone needs to get something done they pay $150 a month more on a $500 premium gets what they need done and drops the plan and goes to a short term plan. They should make it 30% and a 1 year pre-x.

Excellent point Sam! Must have Pre-x to prevent gaming.

Excellent point Sam! Must have Pre-x to prevent gaming.

30% on pre ex is a joke (although the carrier pays the claims, so I'm fine with the carrier getting the extra premium)

6/6/12/12 pre ex with more than a 63 day gap of MEC beginning in 2019 or 2020 (Give people a year to enroll) is the Pre Ex answer.

STM, Medishare, Fixed Indemnity does not count towards pre ex.

This bill shows exactly what we've known all along...ITS COMPLICATED.

The 2018 dates all throughout the bill are laughable. Nothing happens til 2019.

Rates still aren't going down. #whatsnext

Political right had something planned day one to counter ACA, silly me!!

Yes it is silly of you to think a law with 2700 pages and over 20,000 pages in regulations could be undone in one day.

I have never been in the life and health game

Then you really don't understand Obamacare and how many tentacles are contained in that abortion.

close enough to it through writing workers comp,

Nope.

The more I see of this is this law is dead on arrival. I don't see much that brings rates down and a lot of republicans already hate it.

Yes it is silly of you to think a law with 2700 pages and over 20,000 pages in regulations could be undone in one day.
Silly me...I thought since the entire GOP has been screaming repeal/replace for 6 years, they might actually be ready to govern.

Maybe instead of writing, debating and passing 40+ laws that were certain to be veto'd they could have actually done some governing and get an actual plan together....

I've spent the past 24 hrs reviewing and listening, I like a majority of what I'm seeing, and it's hard to argue against most of the provisions presented:

-------
Taking steps to keep carriers playing in 2018 and 19'.

Fraud prevention moves will reduce premiums (shorter OEP, SEP proof, 3o day graces, continuous coverage games)

Removing the 20 taxes, will reduce premiums or out of pocket costs.

Removing AV values, and eventually some EHB's reduces premiums.

5 to 1 ratio better represents real claim distribution.

The middle class are treated like citizens with financial help. More people will get tax credits.

Can use tax credits for Cat plans, Cobra, and off market compliant plans.

States have flexibility in use of funds to further subsidize low income.

Pre-ex is covered as long as you don't play games.

HSA contributions double, with expanded usage.

Removes HC.gov from picture, expands need to agents. (we are mentioned in the 127 pages)

Medicaid was and is unsustainable and needed fiscal and local changes.

All of it combined, is nibbling at the edges, putting more power in the consumers hands, will eventually have a reversing effect. The next parts involve some real bipartisan legislation passing and more HHS rulings (or reversals).

----------

And you can't develop a plan, without having your cards yet.
No plan would have been correctly prepared for the scenario that unfolded in the house, senate and prez. Look at what must be done to get anything accomplished now that we have our cards: HHS rulings, exec orders, budget reconciliation, etc.

Silly me...I thought since the entire GOP has been screaming repeal/replace for 6 years, they might actually be ready to govern.

Maybe instead of writing, debating and passing 40+ laws that were certain to be veto'd they could have actually done some governing and get an actual plan together....

Republicans have the right idea, but their implementation is azz-backwards.

First: States get their high-risk pools in order and private insurers design their free-market plans.

Second: Tell everyone to GET OUT of ObamaCare because in 6 months, it will be scuttled.

Third: Repeal 100% of Obamacare.

Build the New - Migrate - Destroy the Old.

The 30% premium penalty is raising my eyebrow.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but the government can't dictate prices to private industry, nor can they charge a penalty. That was the reason they had to rule it a "tax" for ACA. This is clearly not a tax (paid to carrier, not gov't), and is explicitly called a penalty in the bill.

The verbiage they use makes it pretty clear there's no wiggle room on enforcement or the rate. Carriers "shall" (not "may" or "can") charge an "amount that is equal to 30 percent of the monthly premium rate" (not "up to" or "less than").

Medicare has a legal late enrollment penalty and it works. How is this different?

How about repealing it outright. That was the campaign promise from countless Republicans. Even top rino Mitch "Root and Branch" McConnell said he would repeal it. But now? They won't do it. Rinocare is no better than Obamacare.

Dismantling Obamacare is akin to playing Jenga. Pieces are intertwined. Pull out the wrong one and the entire thing collapses.

AC, no need to scuttle Obamacare. It is in self destruct cycle and has been since day 1. The tower is collapsing without any help from DC.

Yagents is 100% correct. Any prior attempt to scuttle Ocare would be rejected by O. I have said all along there was no need to repeal. The train wreck was already in place.

Back