The Initial Fear of Talking to People

That's pretty profound!! I think I need to adopt that attitude, I seem to get discouraged when I get a number of hang ups or no thanks not interested. I don't like trying to hard sell anyone so I guess NEXT is apt!

The first thing you need to do is develop a track to run on. A lot of people say they don't use a "canned" speech, but if you were to ride with the people out of that group that are actually successful, I bet you will find that when they are making the initial call, their approach will vary very little, if any from one call to the next. They do it so often and so naturally, they don't even realize themselves that they are using a 'canned" speech.

Once you have settled on your approach, practice it over and and over until you can give it in your sleep. Once you know exactly what you are going to say, part..not all... of the fear will dissipate. I speak before a group of people every week and am seldom nervous in that situation because I have planned in advance what I am going to say. Yesterday, I spoke in front of a group with some off the cuff remarks and when I first stood up I had the butterflies in my gut. But, once I started to speak they settled down.

Your approach does not have to be anything fancy, just something to get the conversation started and once the conversation starts, the nervousness will leave.

You don't say what line of business you are wanting to work. If you would be a little more specific as to what you hope to accomplish, I am sure some of the forum members would be glad to share how they approach that market.

Thanks for all of the replies everyone. I've really been sweating this. I really want to have a career in this industry though and I'm willing to do what it takes to break this fear and succeed.

Read "The Psychology of Sales Call Reluctance: Earning What You're Worth in Sales" [Paperback] George W. Dudley (Author), Shannon L. Goodson (Author). This book is a great asset to help in understanding the problem and how to overcome it.

Dr. Jack Singer - a sports psychologist to professional athletes makes Dudley & Goodsen look like kindergarten:

ProducersWeb - My Practice - 5 ways to conquer yourself and become a champion advisor

Dr. Jack's Advice For Advisors: Recognizing PTSD Among Advisors

This page has video interviews with our own Steven Savant:
Dr. Jack Singer | Advising the Advisors

And I've been going through the Stress Mastery Guides for financial advisors myself. I'm halfway through it, and already feeling the results of it:
Dr. Jack Singer | Products Archive - Dr. Jack Singer

Sometimes, it's not about the fear of talking to people. Sometimes, its about the added anxiety ON TOP OF whatever else is going on in your life. Managing your total stress, AND ensuring that you feel comfortable in the role you're taking on... is a big part of what Dr. Jack Singer focuses on.

I started selling in 2008 (worst time ever), so stated focusing on an easy sale, Health Insurance. Also do Life & DI.

I was horrible at approaching people and stuck it out long enough to get a decent client base. Now I don't even have to market, people call me from my website generating SEO.

1. Shot of Vodka helped when really nervous (less smell on your breath, especially when talking on the phone, lol)

2. Network like crazy, just be out in the community. Join groups where there are not other insurance competition people. I get my best referrals from the most unlikely groups of people...no other insurance agents around.

3. Be laid back. Really show clients the Pro's and Con's of your products. They will respect you even if you talk yourself out of a sale that's not in their best interest...they will tell friends about you and stay in touch for when there is a product that's good for them.

Dr. Jack Singer - a sports psychologist to professional athletes makes Dudley & Goodsen look like kindergarten:

ProducersWeb - My Practice - 5 ways to conquer yourself and become a champion advisor

Dr. Jack's Advice For Advisors: Recognizing PTSD Among Advisors

This page has video interviews with our own Steven Savant:
Dr. Jack Singer | Advising the Advisors

And I've been going through the Stress Mastery Guides for financial advisors myself. I'm halfway through it, and already feeling the results of it:
Dr. Jack Singer | Products Archive - Dr. Jack Singer

Sometimes, it's not about the fear of talking to people. Sometimes, its about the added anxiety ON TOP OF whatever else is going on in your life. Managing your total stress, AND ensuring that you feel comfortable in the role you're taking on... is a big part of what Dr. Jack Singer focuses on.

New material for me but I will check it out.

What type of insurance are you selling?
There can be different approaches used.

You eventually will feel less and less anxious the more you
talk with people so keep going.

Back