The right way to build a career in life insurance.

What are you?

• Something else

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

chexmix6

I am currently working as an agent for AIL.

I understand a lot of people have had trouble with this company, I so far have not.

I have produced just under $30k in annualized premiums since mid April.

I do love what this industry has to offer and the freedoms it can provide, but still being new to this space I am overwhelmed with options.

I've had IMO's and other companies trying to recruit me on a weekly basis, all of them basically say the same thing promising to make me rich and trying to convince me that I'm being ripped off at AIL.

I would personally greatly appreciate it if some veterans in this space would take the time to offer some insight here. Before I sink too much time with one particular outfit, what is the best way to build a career in this industry? Furthermore, what is the best way to build something that will resemble my own business and give me the freedom to pick and choose from truly good products from my clients and make a fair commission?

As a new agent looking behind the curtain of this industry, going 100% independent seems like something that is gatekept and safeguarded by those with the cheat codes. Working for a provider like Globe, StateFarm, Allstate, etc. seems to be regarded as a ripoff for agents. Working for an IMO like FFL (who is very adamant about pulling me away from AIL) seems downright too good to be true from their pitch.

If I go the independent route, would it be best to secure my own contracts directly with select providers? Or is it better to work through a pre established IMO?

What is an honest way to make a fair living in this space without being a hustler grindset social media influencer?

Thank you.

I understand a lot of people have had trouble with this company, I so far have not.

I do love what this industry has to offer and the freedoms it can provide, but still being new to this space I am overwhelmed with options.

I've had IMO's and other companies trying to recruit me on a weekly basis, all of them basically say the same thing promising to make me rich and trying to convince me that I'm being ripped off at AIL.

I would personally greatly appreciate it if some veterans in this space would take the time to offer some insight here. Before I sink too much time with one particular outfit, what is the best way to build a career in this industry? Furthermore, what is the best way to build something that will resemble my own business and give me the freedom to pick and choose from truly good products from my clients and make a fair commission?

As a new agent looking behind the curtain of this industry, going 100% independent seems like something that is gatekept and safeguarded by those with the cheat codes. Working for a provider like Globe, StateFarm, Allstate, etc. seems to be regarded as a ripoff for agents. Working for an IMO like FFL (who is very adamant about pulling me away from AIL) seems downright too good to be true from their pitch.

If I go the independent route, would it be best to secure my own contracts directly with select providers? Or is it better to work through a pre established IMO?

What is an honest way to make a fair living in this space without being a hustler grindset social media influencer?

Thank you.
FFL would be little different than being with AIL. They will start you at low commissions and require you to recruit to move up the ladder. I enjoyed the freedom of being independent. Higher commission rates, can recruit if you want but not required. Work when and where you want. Fully vested commissions from day 1.

Thank you.

I’ll share a little story . This isn’t just about ail . This pertains to Lincoln Heritage and many other outfits . I became friends with a woman in 2020. She was with Ail. She had just started 6 months before. They had her at 65% contract as a ‘regional” . They were putting agents under her at 45-50% . I told here no no don’t let them do that . I warned her strongly about chargebacks . I never tried to recruit her as i don’t recruit . I told her what was out there but she had drank the koolaide. But starting new she liked the office atmosphere. She needed that hand holding . And you might need that office structure . If you can’t be self motivated and be alone being independent is not for you. I have a few friends in the business that we talk a few times a week . The people that make money at ail or the ones with big teams just like at Lincoln and other outfits . FFL pays higher comp than ail but still the ones making the big money are the recruiters . The culture of ffl is to recruit and get a downline . Being independent you’ll get 120% contracts with 5-7% renewals and you’ll be vested from day 1. That means you stop writing that company you still get renewals for 10 or so yrs if the policy’s stay active . Thats a real business . The end the story of the girl with ail . I had stopped talking to her about a yr ago . I looked at here profile on facebook . She stopped working there in Jan of this yr and got a job at the state . She failed like 95% of others do . But she failed because they had her recruiting from day 1 and the chargebacks sunk her. To make a real living you need 100% plus contracts. Starting off is tough . It takes a yr or longer to really get the cash flow going .

Being independent you’ll get 120% contracts with 5-7% renewals and you’ll be vested from day 1. That means you stop writing that company you still get renewals for 10 or so yrs if the policy’s stay active . Thats a real business

That.

Compare 5 and 10 yr total comp. Not just firs yr.

I recently re contacted with a company that the renewals are laughable. It makes no sense to write them from a business point. I may as well write term at least then I get another bite at the apple down the road.

That.

Compare 5 and 10 yr total comp. Not just firs yr.

I recently re contacted with a company that the renewals are laughable. It makes no sense to write them from a business point. I may as well write term at least then I get another bite at the apple down the road.

Correct but most 120% contracts pay 5-7% renewals . That’s what sticks out to me about Aflac and Trans . They only pay 3% renewals which is laughable. I got some contracts paying me 9% avg threw yr 10 .

I started with AIL I was going good as well but their system was not for me. When I went independent I got a huge pay bump , but I went specifically to FE(Final Expense). I also started buying my own leads. I wasn't pushed into recruiting when I first started and was able to make it work. It's a completely different ball game. It's all on you, all the expenses, on you. On the other hand, your commission should, just about, more than double.

You can contract direct to some carriers, but in my experience, it's best to get with an organization who has a lead system for you to work.

Also, I'm assuming you are going to be going F2F (Face to face), that being said. I would recommend an organization that has good direct mail leads.

Lastly, if you did choose you wanted to go telesales, it's a different ballgame as well. More state licenses are required and you would need to be set up with an organization that has a proven track record & lead system for this type of service.

I wish you the best and I hope this helps.

Back