The Ultimate "fake It Till You Make It" Article:

That strategy is the farthest thing in the world from what "The Millionaire Next Door" describes.

One of the greatest books ever written.

Another book I always recommend to people is The Total Money Makeover....I know I'm plugging Dave Ramsay on an insurance forum, but aside from his view on WL, that book can change people's lives who've never understood money.

One of the greatest books ever written.

Another book I always recommend to people is The Total Money Makeover....I know I'm plugging Dave Ramsay on an insurance forum, but aside from his view on WL, that book can change people's lives who've never understood money.

Those that make it don't fake it and they don't display it. Sam Walton was the richest man in America and he didn't drive a Hummer he ran around in an old pickup truck.

Those that make it don't fake it and they don't display it. Sam Walton was the richest man in America and he didn't drive a Hummer he ran around in an old pickup truck.

Former wifes employer owned 17 hotels and was worth millions and drove around in an old van, when the family went out to dinner it was water only and the hotel managers all learned not to let him pick out a new company vehicle as it would be manual Windows and no radio.

The guy that owns the local horse race track use to run around in an old van. I don't know if he still does or not.

Last edited:
What bad advice...

-A well-tailored and affordable suit will beat a rented suit or designer you can't afford to have fitted every time. To boot, designer shirts from the outlets are cheap, and no one can tell. You can look like a million bucks on a thousand dollar budget.
-They don't ever need to see your car, if they do, it's the "commuter". Overextending yourself for a car you cant afford to own (let alone, insure and maintain) is a recipe for disaster. $2400 for a headlight and $1600 brake jobs hurt more than anyone anticipates.
-If they're doing business with you solely because of where you live or the brand of watch you wear, you've got a bigger problem as a salesperson. (If you're spending 5 figures on a watch, please don't waste it on a Rolex. It only impresses those who can't afford one, and that's not who you're trying to impress.)
-You can stay at the cheap hotel, and walk into the expensive one to network. Wear a suit, act like you own the place, and they won't ever question your presence. Heck, walk right up to reception, introduce yourself, and ask for directions to the bar to "meet your friend for lunch".

Soon enough, you'll be affluent for real, not just look like it while you're broke as a joke and eyeball deep in debt.

A post on LinkedIn reminded me of this thread. I went to the internet Wayback Machine to get a PDF of the original article.

Attachments

• NAIFA's Advisor Today - Creating an Image of Success.pdf
    527.7 KB · Views: 17
Back