The Universal SEP

I ran 2 different 12/1 effective SEPs last Friday. Did you not select that you are applying for 2014 perhaps?

I did not select 2014 on the front end. He's actually skipping the December premium on his current plan (will quickly reinstate if sick/injured), so as we neared the end of the app and it started asking the SEP questions, I entered 11/30/2014 for current plan ending date...thinking/hoping for 12/1/2014 effective date. Didn't happen.

In this instance, it's OK that he didn't get a 12/1/2014 effective date. It's just that the system shouldn't ask those 9 SEP questions as you near the end of the application process, if it doesn't have the capability of acting on your responses.

I'm Still not seeing anything the private companies did to "fix" healthcare.gov. They just took taxpayer money, gave all of us the finger, and left D.C., laughing at the government's ineptness.

September 3, 2015

Question: If a father terminates his 24 year old son from his group plan at work, does that create a SEP for the son?

From the son's point of view, he will be involuntarily losing his health coverage upon that termination date.
ac

September 3, 2015

Question: If a father terminates his 24 year old son from his group plan at work, does that create a SEP for the son?

From the son's point of view, he will be involuntarily losing his health coverage upon that termination date.
ac

It would have to be a SEP-loss of coverage

September 3, 2015

ac

Quitting a job, being fired, changing hours and losing eligibility, etc. all count as no-fault loss of coverage. You made a decision that resulted in loss of coverage as a byproduct, so it's not at-fault.

Choosing to terminate a plan is at-fault, whether it's employer or individual coverage. Choosing to drop a dependent is the same thing. May not have been the dependent's choice, bu

Remember, the way the law is written, "the qualified individual or his or her dependent..."

From the 24 year old's perspective, his health insurance was involuntarily terminated, through no fault of his own. I proceeded to help him enroll, based on that premise. Thank-you FLM2 and RayNY for your input!

Allen,

From what my exchange has told me, since the dependent does not have the power to terminate the policy/drop themselves, what they want is irrelevant. It all comes down to the situation of the person capable of making the decision, which in this case, is a voluntary term.

Not saying you did the wrong thing, just that this is that gray area where not even the exchange reps are sure how to handle this.

From what they say, if the exchange takes it, it must be right.

Latest posts

Back