There Has to Be a Better Way!!!

Me and a buddy of mine from work, we are both captives with state farm, have started to cold call and at first we attempted to overcome the initial "no" but we noticed this was taking too much time and only occasionally led to an actual quote. Since then our script has went something like this "this is james with state farm, how are you this afternoon?... Thats good to hear.. We are calling to let you know about our recent rate decreses in your area and we would love the opportunity to go through a quote with you" and if they say "no", just say "thank" you and hang up. Should we go back to trying to overcome the initial no, since cold calling is a numbers game, or keep what we are doing? Also would you say something different?

Also i just wanted to thank everyone on this forum, although i have never posted anything, i wanted to go inde as soon as i got my licences P&C and L&H but after reading this forum I decided to go captive to actually learn and most importantly SAVE up so im not just another fly by night agency.

The initial no is almost knee jerk reaction, you should expect it. I would overcome the first no, and say goodbye on the second no.

Because of this thread I've decided to answer the telemarketer that asks me "ho are you today? to start the call. Had one call Sat. and I told him I was having a good day, we had just taken the in laws to breakfast and I was getting ready to do some yard work. He kept stopping me while I was trying to tell him how I was. I told him, "wait a minute, I thought we were friends, you called me by my first name, you wanted to know how I'm doing and now you don't want to know?"

He finally hung up on me. Then again this morning I had another one. I went through the same thing and he also hung up on me.

Seems they don't really care how I am today?:goofy::D:D

JD This has got to be the most awesome this has got to be the most awesome post on this thread! Super hilarious. I will totally try this as well. Makes the point very clear though. :laugh:

JD This has got to be the most awesome this has got to be the most awesome post on this thread! Super hilarious. I will totally try this as well. Makes the point very clear though. :laugh:

I get the impression you think this is the most awesome post on the thread.. :)

I have a reason for repeating myself.. I'm old.

Been awhile since I posted or been on here. Just been super busy but here is how I open my calls. I only call on B2B but here is rationale for what I do and why I do it this way.

I always use first names: I do this for 2 reasons. 1. Last names can be very difficult to pronounce. I hate when someone says my name wrong and I assumed other people are the same. 2. This is the most important reason for me... I feel as though I am on the same level as the CEO. I'm a professional and never want to start in a position of a perceived lower level. On top of that, early in my career, I had the CEO of a 1,000 employer say to me that his father's name was "Mr. Smith"... call me "Joe". I don't think people like being called "Mr or Mrs". I know I don't.

With Opening Statements: I almost always say: "I hope I didn't catch you at a bad time, do you have just a moment?". I equate cold calling someones office to walking in. If I were in their office and walked up to their door, would I just walk in and start babbling... or would I say... "hey, do you have a minute?". I hate when people just walk in my door and don't show me respect. Cold callers should listen and show respect. You have no idea what the person you are calling is in the middle of. And after they tell me... I listen and respect their answer.

Probably about 10 years ago, I had a woman from a construction company call me around 5 or 6pm. I remember the time because of what she said and I remember the call because of her tone and words. She said, " Hi Scott. This is ___ from ______. I know its dinner time and I hope I am not interrupting but do you have just a minute so I can tell you why I am calling". It was so nice and different that I always remembered that call. What she said during the rest of the call kept the same tone and respectfulness. She said, "we're doing a project for a neighbor and I was calling to see if you had any projects that you wanted to get looked at?". I didn't at the time and said, I really don't right now but thanks for calling. "She asked if she could call back another time and I said, "sure". Where she failed is she never called back. She should have called every 3-6 months and eventually, when ready, I would have had them come out.

What she did is a lot like the way that I've called for years. I always ask if its a good time, I always listen and respect their answers. I always believe they are being honest with me and I always ask if I can call back. In addition, when they say No... I respect that.

I am a strong believer that no one likes to be sold but everyone likes to buy. I want to help people buy. I want them to feel like they made the decision and I want them to feel good about the process from start to finish. I think most salespeople are only concerned about themselves and the sale. Their attitude when they call and the words they use often show this.

My attitude is always... be respectful and listen.

Thank you! That is great advice! I'm am a new life and health agent and was looking for ways to approach people in a respectful and effective manner. I agree totally on asking first if its a good time. If you have any more advice for a new agent I'd love to hear it.

Thank you! That is great advice! I'm am a new life and health agent and was looking for ways to approach people in a respectful and effective manner. I agree totally on asking first if its a good time. If you have any more advice for a new agent I'd love to hear it.

I agree I like the whole tenor of NY's post.

Just thought I would post today's cold calling results.

Calls 289
Contacts 56
Appointments Set 4
Rude People 1
Really funny people 4, One guy said he didn't want F.E. because he wanted the ole ball and chain to pay for it hehe.

I'm sick and sound a bit rough or else I think I would have done little better. I need to learn more about the competition, so I can ask specific questions when they say I have coverage though XYZ.

Disclaimer: I'm not in anyway saying this is how one should prospect, so please don't shoot me. :1wink:

Just thought I would post today's cold calling results. Calls 289 Contacts 56 Appointments Set 4 Rude People 1 Really funny people 4, One guy said he didn't want F.E. because he wanted the ole ball and chain to pay for it hehe. I'm sick and sound a bit rough or else I think I would have done little better. I need to learn more about the competition, so I can ask specific questions when they say I have coverage though XYZ. Disclaimer: I'm not in anyway saying this is how one should prospect, so please don't shoot me. :1wink:

Good effort and decent results .

Just thought I would post today's cold calling results.

Calls 289
Contacts 56
Appointments Set 4
Rude People 1
Really funny people 4, One guy said he didn't want F.E. because he wanted the ole ball and chain to pay for it hehe.

I'm sick and sound a bit rough or else I think I would have done little better. I need to learn more about the competition, so I can ask specific questions when they say I have coverage though XYZ.

Disclaimer: I'm not in anyway saying this is how one should prospect, so please don't shoot me. :1wink:

Great job! Keep it going!

----------

Thanks power. I appreciate the kind words. Best advice I can give you is to set big goals, believe you can achieve them and get to work. Nothing happens without action. Keep plugging away and don't stop. It took me 6 months of constant prospecting to get my first real group when I first started. I could've quit several times but I am so glad I didn't. I had no idea how successful I was going to be. The same is true for you. Just keep going, keep learning, and have fun with it!

Most of my business since I am still less than 2 years in is cold calling b2b individual health insurance. Over the last 2 years with various people with more experience giving me advice, here is my basic opening statement. Keep in mind I call off a list:

Hello, is this ____ (first name)? My name is (first and last name) over here(up here, down here) in ______, FL. The reason I am calling...well first of all I ain't a telemarketer (with a grin/small laugh) but the reason I am calling is because u spoke with me/had a health isnurance policy with us/requested a quote from my company b4, ABC company, and I'd love to see what I could do to earn ur business! Whats ur current situation?

Either we talk or we dont. Works ok for me cause I use slang terms but I also talk to people in the south. However, last week I had some lady say "Why you calling me "dear" and why are u saying "yall". She was just a rude prude. Probably living in Palm Beach and didnt like my accent, but oh well!!! Win some, lose some!

Just find ur cup of tea and stick with it!

Last edited:
Back