They're Gaming the System Already

Also remember that per federal law, all the hospital has to do is stabilize the patient. Without insurance you could find yourself in the hospital and without insurance you'll be required to fill out financial forms.

If it's determined that you do not have the ability to pay then, yes, they'll stabilize you...then discharge you. It could be a situation where you need hundreds or even thousands in medication but guess who won't take a payment plan...CVS. You have the money for the meds or you don't.

When my brother had his stoke, he was stable after about 3 days. He couldn't move or talk, but medically he was stable. Without coverage that would have been his discharge day - and we would have had to carry him into his house where....well....he'd likely have been laying on the couch.

He had insurance and ended up staying in the hospital for a month, doing therapy literally all day - learned to move, then walk, then talk and after they discharged him he went to 3 months of outpatient therapy. Today he's back to work. Without coverage he's likely be laying on a bed at home getting fed by his wife.

Want to go without coverage...be my guest.

Last edited:
Michigan Agent: There has GOT TO BE MORE on that story especially if NPR is covering the story. Does anybody believe NPR propaganda anymore? Just saying.

It was covered by several news organizations. And I believe NPR w a a a a y before I believe anything on Faux News. Such as Faux News story on the mess left in the Wisconsin state house by protesters:

"It will cost SEVEN MILLION dollars to clean up the mess left by liberal leaning union backing protesters in the Wisconsin State House."

Actual cost: about $330,000.

Faux News people evidently graduated from the Rush Limbaugh School of Journalism (sic), where their motto is, F*ck it, if we say it on air, it must be true! Besides, the people won't check it anyway!"

So yeah, I trust NPR way more than Faux News or MSNBC.

Twins were born in May. Wife goes to first dr. office visit after birth, and was told she didn't have insurance. Goes home, calls company, and was told they were dropped since they did not inform the company the family grew by two memebers! Every time I had a kid the insurance company knew right away I had a new member, since they were paying the damn medical bills!

That's not all: they cancelled the family retroactively to February!

Gotta believe there is more to the story. I can see UHC refusing to cover the kids since they were not notified within 30 days, but not cancelling the family.

The problem from that situation is the person on cobra probably never opened their plan booklet or never gave a second thought as to what to do when things changed.

The most unread type of document in this country is a medical benefits booklet. They look as new a year later as they do the day you handed them out.

And while I think UHC represents all that is wrong with health insurance providers today, they probably have a leg to stand on.

The problem from that situation is the person on cobra probably never opened their plan booklet or never gave a second thought as to what to do when things changed.

The most unread type of document in this country is a medical benefits booklet. They look as new a year later as they do the day you handed them out.

And while I think UHC represents all that is wrong with health insurance providers today, they probably have a leg to stand on.

What I wonder is why UHC didn't know (they DID know). The hospital had to have called them the minute the pregnant woman showed up to verify benefits. Guess that wouldn't count since that wouldn't be the insured calling. Like others here have said, there is more to the story.

The hospital had to have called them the minute the pregnant woman showed up to verify benefits. Guess that wouldn't count since that wouldn't be the insured calling.

The hospital does not have the right to add or delete family members.

Yes, from an intuitive position, obviously UHC did know about the children, but it is the responsibility of the named policyholder, or their representative, to notify the carrier of the change. Every contract I have seen gives them 30 days to add or delete dependents (of any age). If added after 30 days the carrier has the right to refuse coverage. If it is a group plan the dependents can come in at the next enrollment without providing E of I.

Back