Transferring Domain Name and Email

What don't you like about them?

You can change the nameservers if you want to move it to a new host.

You need to get the transfer key from your current host and use it to register for the new host. Depending on the companies there may be an extra step or two, but that's really about it.

Who are you with now?

It takes forever to login to my webmail account.

For instance: since I have started this thread, and gotten two responses, I am still waiting for the scripts to load up.

Ridiculous.

Last edited:
Bob, I believe they all have issues. My business email is through GoDaddy. I have spells where it just won't play nice with Outlook login attempts and I have semi-regular issues when checking my email from my android phone. I get "unable to connect to server" and have to keep hitting "load more messages" until it connects.

Checking mail on the web is usually flawless, but I rarely check it that way.

On bouncebacks, it seems to happen with the same few clients, but not every time. I was told when I get a bounceback it is because the recipient's incoming server has decided that they just didn't like the IP address I was using - which was randomly assigned by my outgoing server.

There are two entities in the web world:

1. The domain registrar.
2. The domain host

They can be the same company.

It used to be that the big-daddy of registrars was Network Solutions. Then the rules changed and anyone could be a registrar and Go-Daddy came into existence.

Many web hosting companies set up separate divisions to do domain (URL) registration as it can be lucrative if you don't screw it up.

You do not need to host with the same company that registers your URL. But there is a division of labor. The host is just disk space on a computer where you put your files for your website and it also has mail servers and database servers, etc.

The registrar is the one that has the DNS codes. Normally your host assigns you the DNS codes and you log into your registrar site and enter them. You wait a few hours and people should then be able to get to your website.

If you change hosts, all you have to do after you are set up with the new one is transfer your files to it and then do the DNS entries on your registrar company.

Many of the companies that are primarily registration services are horrible web hosts. It is usually not their core biz and they don't do it well. I won't name names in public but think of who the really large registrars are (like one who advertises on the major football game each year) and you will get the picture.

You can keep your registrar and change hosts. Or you can also change registrars if you wish. I did. I had bad DNS service from Network Solutions and moved my registration to PairNIC. (Actually the new registrar will do the xfer for you as I remember.)

There are a million good hosting companies. I use Pair Networks, but I have clients who like Dreamhost and Bluehost and Hostgator, to name a few.

So if your host has crappy web mail, move to a different host that has a better one... . If you have a large database driven website it will take a bit of tech savvy to move it, but you can hire someone for a few bucks who will do it all for you if you don't know how. It's not that hard. Most hosts have detailed instructions on what to do... how to build a new database (i.e. if a Wordpress site) etc.

And you can ask here as there are a fair number of insurance geeks who will be happy to advise.

HTH.

YMMV.

Al
I am at this website.

Godaddy is great to work with for both website hosting and email.

Glad you have had good luck with them.

Because I spent 25 years as a computer consultant-geek (mostly for ins. companies... met my first, current, and very expensive wife while working for Ross Perot's EDS at Blue Shield/CA in 1977) I end up helping a lot of my victims (oops, I mean clients (all 3 of them!) with computer issues and most have not had good hosting results with a number of the larger registry/host combo houses. I won't name names because I don't want to be sued.

...and most have not had good hosting results with a number of the larger registry/host combo houses.

I am 100% in agreement with Al. The big registry/host houses are playing a volume game. In order for them to make money, they need to provide the lowest level of service possible to the most customers. I've seen agents make the same mistake over and over again of trying to save a few bucks by going with one of these providers (sometimes to save less than a single dollar!) and then paying for it 50x over in headaches and lost productivity.

Back