Trucker Question / Input Needed

Herkster

Guru
100+ Post Club
So, we insure an over the road trucker, he is insured w/ 1m limits.
He is being hired by another outfit to haul for them, with his own stuff. This company is requiring him to carry a GL - why?
What is the GL going to cover that his own liability for his truck and trailer isn't? He has motor carrier endorsement and state filings already.

----------

He is being hired by another outfit to haul for them, with his own stuff. This company is requiring him to carry a GL - why?
What is the GL going to cover that his own liability for his truck and trailer isn't? He has motor carrier endorsement and state filings already.

They want GL class code 99793, which I'm not sure what that is actually providing the insured with. Any help?

----------

They want GL class code 99793, which I'm not sure what that is actually providing the insured with. Any help?

Trip and falls in an office or on premises of the client he is at.

USLI does it cheap.

Trip and falls in an office or on premises of the client he is at.

USLI does it cheap.

A trucker, carrying this GL, is going to cover himself on trips and falls (can't be liable to yourself(, or cover a 3rd party?

They want it because if your client gets sued while doing subcontracted work, ultimately they will get sued as well. Any number of things can happen while your client's employees are out and about at different stops.

Does your client not already have a GL, WC, Umbrella, and etc. in place right now? If not, you're most likely not covering them adequately and missing out on commission.

Be sure to find out if this contracting company wants only to be a certificate holder or if they want to be an additional insured, as that typically adds to cost.

They want it because if your client gets sued while doing subcontracted work, ultimately they will get sued as well. Any number of things can happen while your client's employees are out and about at different stops.

Does your client not already have a GL, WC, Umbrella, and etc. in place right now? If not, you're most likely not covering them adequately and missing out on commission.

Be sure to find out if this contracting company wants only to be a certificate holder or if they want to be an additional insured, as that typically adds to cost.

Our insured is well covered, and he has hauled for himself and many others, without a GL ever being a requirement. He's a one man show, no need for WC (has disability cov). Need a certificate holder, not additional insured.

We've got it worked out on our end.

Another reason the contracting company may be requiring him to have his own GL is that their insurance may require sub-contractors to carry it.

Herkster, I meant no offense from my post. I've it beaten into my head that you write a GL on everything just in case or have them sign a form stating you offered GL and they declined. Possibly even the same on the umbrella depending on how high his gross sales are.

Another reason the contracting company may be requiring him to have his own GL is that their insurance may require sub-contractors to carry it.

Herkster, I meant no offense from my post. I've it beaten into my head that you write a GL on everything just in case or have them sign a form stating you offered GL and they declined. Possibly even the same on the umbrella depending on how high his gross sales are.

Ha, it takes a lot more than that to offend me! I do our farm and crop stuff, hardly dabble into the commercial realm. So, I was just merely asking for people's opinions - we have some self-owned independent truckers, no trucking companies on our books. So, when a trucking company asked for a GL (essentially as our driver is sub contracted), we weren't sure why and NO ONE, even the trucking company, could explain why they needed a GL, just that they needed to have one.

After receiving the information and talking to a few underwriters, I have a much better idea as of why it's needed. So, all good on my end!

I find this very funny that most guys who write truckers don't realize the value in a truckers GL. I Insure a handful of local Sand and gravel ops and we have a carrier that requires the truckers GL in companionship with the Auto Liability. A truckers GL is NOT only for slips and falls. but also for deliveries to the wrong address. Or for example the driver helps another trucker with his brakes prior to a steep grade and the guys brakes go out. Also the GL covers PD and Bodily injury while loading and unloading the truck as well being the truck is not moving while unloading for most long haul guys so there you go. Hope that helps.

Last edited:
Back