UHC supplement rates

sam816

Super Genius
100+ Post Club
I spoke to a man that is on plan F offered by UHC in AZ, he is 68, non-tobacco, and he says UHC tells him that he will be paying $177 a month next year.

I look it up in the rates table, the standard rate is $165.52 for plan F, and level 2 rate for those with medical conditions is $340.12.

So I can't figure out why his rate is between the standard and level 2, could it be that UHC's underwriting manually adjusted his rate due to a medical condition?

He said he got on plan K when he turned 65, then got on plan F after 5-6 months, so his acceptance for F might not have been guaranteed when applied.

Is it possible he is looking ahead at when his rate will change due to turning 69 and/or factoring in an upcoming rate increase? (I don't have a rate table to look at... just throwing out an idea... I know Ohio's rates go up in Jan...)

Is it possible he is looking ahead at when his rate will change due to turning 69 and/or factoring in an upcoming rate increase? (I don't have a rate table to look at... just throwing out an idea... I know Ohio's rates go up in Jan...)
He called UHC to get his rate starting 2018, the rates table I looked at is for 2018.

He said he got on plan K when he turned 65, then got on plan F after 5-6 months...
Could the $165.52 be using the "new formula" (36% discount over 12 years) while the $177 rate is from the "old formula" (30% discount over 10 years)?

What he is paying now, or thinks he will be paying next year is irrelevant until you know (1) is he insurable? and (2) which plan will fit his needs and budget?

Also helps to know why he is looking. IOW, what does he expect to achieve by changing plans?

He is probably on old rating schedule, vs new 12 yr discount. Portal has tool to see rates if they change plans internally.

He is probably on old rating schedule, vs new 12 yr discount. Portal has tool to see rates if they change plans internally.

You are probably right, when I look at the "plan change rates for AZ" given by UHC for those want to switch to a different AARP supplement, plan F for 68 non-tobacco is $179.13.

He said he is currently on AARP plan F (switched from K about 3 years ago), but his rate is going up to $177 next year, so it appears that the "plan change rates" also apply to existing members even though they stay on the same plan.

and the "plan change rates" are higher than 2018 rates for new enrollments.

I have a theory / question ... the carriers that include Silver Sneakers are prone to increase rates more rapidly over time ... thoughts? Ohio in particular I am wondering. AARP, Anthem, Medical Mutual.

I have a theory / question ... the carriers that include Silver Sneakers are prone to increase rates more rapidly over time ... thoughts? Ohio in particular I am wondering. AARP, Anthem, Medical Mutual.

No, they are no more prone than other carriers.

TA doesn't offer silver sneakers and went up 30+ in OR. IAC did the same

Rick

Back