United Health Care

I haven't written anything with GR in years, but I believe they reserve the right to increase rates at any time after the first 12 months.

United Health Care/Golden Rule sent out an e-mail today informing agents that plans sold effective January 1, 2013 and later will no longer have the customary 12 month premium guarantee. Reason: Unknowns regarding mandates to be pushed out by HHS in 2013.

Why would they remove the 1 year premium guarantee only on policies issued post 1/1/2013? Why not ALL policies issued after March 23, 2010? hmmm...

-ac

I didn't get that email. Can you forward me a copy to [email protected]

It makes sense since policies sold after Jan 2nd, 2013 won't have a 1 year guarantee since 1/1/14 is less than a year. I'm sure others will follow shortly with the same news. I'm also waiting for advances to stop in the new year too.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Allen, I got the email from them.

To me, this shows that NON GF plan and rates sold today will rise significantly come 2014.

Obama lied to us.

Last edited:
Yagents, I'm glad you found the UHC e-mail. I was just about to forward mine to you.

Perhaps all the non-grandfathered plans are NOT going away (made illegal) at the end of 2013 after all? Otherwise, why would an insurance carrier be concerned with their 12 month rate guarantee if the plans would not be around for a full 12 months anyway.

The most puzzling health insurance notice I've ever seen was received today from AETNA, stating that between 11/1/2012 and 11/9/2012 individual quotes in Illinois and D.C. will only be allowed 30 days in advance, vs. 60 days. After 11/9/2012, we can return to quoting up to 60 days in advance. No reason given. Just a "Thank-you for your understanding."
-Allen

Last edited:
On the health side I wrote most of my business with UHC and GR... many options, good pricing, etc.

Perhaps all the non-grandfathered plans are NOT going away (made illegal) at the end of 2013 after all? Otherwise, why would an insurance carrier be concerned with their 12 month rate guarantee if the plans would not be around for a full 12 months anyway.

Could be that they just didn't want to commit beyond twelve months on the newly written plans, and the old ones are history anyway.

I hope that's not true, but being the first to remove the guarantee is a bold step, why else would they put themselves at a competitive disadvantage?

At just about every turn post Obamacare they have been one of the first carriers to turn tail and run away.

Maternity?

Gone.

Child only?

Gone.

Rate up for GI children?

Refused to give a response when asked but allowed rumors to say the rate up could be in xs of 500%.

Right on. UHC operates from a position of fear. They hold a lot of Webinars that say nothing of substance, and have yet to send out any communication (that I'm aware of) regarding the Affordable Care Act. I'm surprised that I'm on UHC's mailing list. In a way, I miss the old days where a company sent you stuff in the U.S. Mail. If you didn't produce, they just stopped sending you info.

I didn't get that email. Can you forward me a copy to [email protected]

It makes sense since policies sold after Jan 2nd, 2013 won't have a 1 year guarantee since 1/1/14 is less than a year. I'm sure others will follow shortly with the same news. I'm also waiting for advances to stop in the new year too.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Allen, I got the email from them.

To me, this shows that NON GF plan and rates sold today will rise significantly come 2014.

Obama lied to us.

Also present an opportunity for those that will still offer it to market effectively and gain more business... possibly.

Back