Upline Hierarchy Question

wehotex

Guru
1000 Post Club
Houston, Tex
My direct Upline recently sent an email which advised me that their upline “partner” is changing (better override deal for them I guess?) and that agents are being asked to “accept” the new hierarchy arrangement with a click of this email.
One of the Direct upline principals also told me that his agency has been aligned with this new upline “partner” since about 2 months ago with ALL of their carriers.
I don’t see any note of this new upline anywhere (email or broker portals) and did not agree/accept a change that might have been offered to me. Does the downline agent ALWAYS have to agree/accept a hierarchy change or are we merely “sold down the River” without notice?
I’ll get the answer that I’m looking for on Monday, but am curious if anyone knows the answer?

My direct Upline recently sent an email which advised me that their upline “partner” is changing (better override deal for them I guess?) and that agents are being asked to “accept” the new hierarchy arrangement with a click of this email.
One of the Direct upline principals also told me that his agency has been aligned with this new upline “partner” since about 2 months ago with ALL of their carriers.
I don’t see any note of this new upline anywhere (email or broker portals) and did not agree/accept a change that might have been offered to me. Does the downline agent ALWAYS have to agree/accept a hierarchy change or are we merely “sold down the River” without notice?
I’ll get the answer that I’m looking for on Monday, but am curious if anyone knows the answer?
I don't know what your pay arrangements with them but I hope you aren't on LOA contracts. If you don't agree, they can always cancel your contracts (LOA or Company) becasue they would no longer receive an overwrite on your business.. That could result in your having to set out a waiting period to recontract with the companies.. They pretty much hold all the cards.

I am trying to consolidate all of my Medicare contracts with 1 FMO. Called each carrier to find out who my current uine was. None matched the person I had originally spoken to. Some were even direct to the carrier. Who knows how I ended up where I am at.

You could cancel and wait out 6-months and go anywhere you want to.
If you like your Upline and have a good deal there what does it matter who gets the over ride on him? Does it affect anything at all with your products or commission levels?

Newby I’ve heard on Mapd contracts you can call the carrier directly and cancel your contract and only have to wait 30 days to move contracts . Heard that from several people UNLESS the IMO has a direct agreement that the contract can’t be moved for 6-12 months . Somebody told me Amerilife had a 12 month agreement with some carriers .

I don't know what your pay arrangements with them but I hope you aren't on LOA contracts. If you don't agree, they can always cancel your contracts (LOA or Company) becasue they would no longer receive an overwrite on your business.. That could result in your having to set out a waiting period to recontract with the companies.. They pretty much hold all the cards.

That is not exactly what I’ve been told by the carrier.
You could cancel and wait out 6-months and go anywhere you want to.
If you like your Upline and have a good deal there what does it matter who gets the over ride on him? Does it affect anything at all with your products or commission levels?

Because I DON’T have a good deal with my Direct upline. They give half-ass support and nothing special on commissions. The FMO that they are asking downlines to go into owes me $, even though I have emails from them that authorize commission payouts from audit results to me that I have not received. I find it hard to work for people who don’t do what they say and give little support.

That is not exactly what I’ve been told by the carrier.

Because I DON’T have a good deal with my Direct upline. They give half-ass support and nothing special on commissions. The FMO that they are asking downlines to go into owes me $, even though I have emails from them that authorize commission payouts from audit results to me that I have not received. I find it hard to work for people who don’t do what they say and give little support.
Then you need to move. There are too many insurance Companies and too many IMOs in this business to do business with any that you are not happy with. You are only confined by your own mind.
If I were in your position I would recontract Monday morning with new companies through an IMO that you DO like. Always make sure it is one that releases so you are never in this position again.
As soon as your new companies are approved, cancel every contract you have through the existing Upline.
You are nobody’s victim unless you choose to be.
If you had assigned your commissions to your old Upline, that’s on you. You just paid stupid tax. And learned why EXERYONE tells you not to do that (except the hucksters who are trying to convince you to assign commissions to them). But nothing that I advised you to do would change if it were me.

Newby I’ve heard on Mapd contracts you can call the carrier directly and cancel your contract and only have to wait 30 days to move contracts . Heard that from several people UNLESS the IMO has a direct agreement that the contract can’t be moved for 6-12 months . Somebody told me Amerilife had a 12 month agreement with some carriers .
MAPD is different. I think it’s longer than 30 days but you can give notice that you want to move and keep on writing and be eligible to move at a later date though.

MAPD is different. I think it’s longer than 30 days but you can give notice that you want to move and keep on writing and be eligible to move at a later date though.

This is true.

Now ,here is my shameless plug.... If you are tired of an upline not doing what they say they are going to do or anything like that, then give us a try. Our reputation is stellar on doing what we say we are going to do and also getting back to agents in a timely manner. This is the reputation we have built from day one!

Last edited:
Then you need to move. There are too many insurance Companies and too many IMOs in this business to do business with any that you are not happy with. You are only confined by your own mind.
If I were in your position I would recontract Monday morning with new companies through an IMO that you DO like. Always make sure it is one that releases so you are never in this position again.
As soon as your new companies are approved, cancel every contract you have through the existing Upline.
You are nobody’s victim unless you choose to be.
If you had assigned your commissions to your old Upline, that’s on you. You just paid stupid tax. And learned why EXERYONE tells you not to do that (except the hucksters who are trying to convince you to assign commissions to them). But nothing that I advised you to do would change if it were me.

Here is what happened with them:
Wellcare is by far the easiest. Log into their portal and change the hierarchy by inputting the unique number of the desired upline or DIRECT.

Amerigroup- I have to stay under the same pig FMO that doesn’t pay. But since I’m still under them, they extended me a contract the next day. I’m sure it would have been different if I was changing FMO.
Aetna- I’m uncertain who my real upline is? Apparently, the direct upline sold us down the river (Agent Help Desk told me) and placed me under the pig FMO without me signing anything! I am waiting on that. Worst case is that it’s 3 months wait until the transfer occurs.
Cigna- The Direct upline may have sold us down the river again by placing us under the pig FMO. I put a ? for FMO hierarchy in the paperwork. That transfer will be processed relatively quickly since I hadn’t written biz since 3-1-21 effective.

Back