USAA Medigap

cwradio

Any information or advice on USAA Medigap insurance (Michigan) that you can share with a consumer?
Thanks Paul

Any information or advice on USAA Medigap insurance (Michigan) that you can share with a consumer?
Thanks Paul
It's exactly the same as all other company's med sups. But was just recently brought to market on the broker channel so I would avoid it if there are other choices with similar premiums that you can qualify for.

United States Automobile Association is likely not even administering this product if you are a fan of them. Several companies just "rent" other insurance companies names and logos to bring out Med Sups which usually start at a competitive rate and then they blow up the rates on these products usually by the 5th year. Then it will disappear from the market.

I'm not 100% sure that is the case with this USAA branded one but my spidey senses are tingling in that direction.

Medicare Supplement insurance provided by USAA Life Insurance Company, San Antonio, TX. Not available in MA, MN, NJ, NY and WI.

Medicare solutions provided by USAA Life Insurance Company, San Antonio, TX, and through USAA Life General Agency, Inc. (LGA) (known in CA and NY as USAA Health and Life Insurance Agency), which acts as an agent for select insurance companies to provide products to USAA members.

I check with SERFF filing access for Michigan and found USAA had filling as far back as July 2005. Did not check if they had any Dead Blocks of business for Medigap.

Last edited:
Can't say about MI but they have been in GA for a dozen years or so, maybe longer. They are direct writers, no brokerage. Here they use community rating (same rate regardless of age or gender) and they are not competitive at all.

Male 65, non-tob, zip 30328, G plan is $221.

There are 38 carriers with lower rates and 8 with higher rates.

Can't say about MI but they have been in GA for a dozen years or so, maybe longer. They are direct writers, no brokerage. Here they use community rating (same rate regardless of age or gender) and they are not competitive at all.

USAA in Michigan (48108) age 78 (male, non smoker) plan G is $214. (ATTAINED AGE PRICING)
Looking for a company that is stable and has not previously Dead Block their Medigap business.

Hmmm? I could be wrong then. But aren’t they new to the broker distribution channel?

In the past they have always worked an angle where they target marketed to military families. They wanted it to seem exclusive so not open to the general public. They also had only captive phone sales agents (in house) and not open to outside brokers.

Now when they rolled this out it’s available to everyone who has Medicare and sold through broker agents. That’s why I assumed it’s not really being run by the United States Automobile Association but some 3rd party that just rented their name.

Hmmm? I could be wrong then. But aren’t they new to the broker distribution channel?

Can't say. They have always been a direct writer since I entered the Medicare market in 2010. Every time a new carrier enters the market here FMO's come out of the woodwork trying to get me to sell their new plan with low rates and high bonus bucks.

I have seen solicitations about Ace (entered the GA market 8/1/2023) but not USAA. Even if they did decide to include brokers here, they are so far out of the market (not competitive) I can't imagine anyone taking a contract with them.

I get calls from prospects sometimes and they ask about USAA. CSG has their rates loaded in the system (after being MIA for several years) so I can see how high those rates are and can compare them to all the other major carriers and no one I have talked to so far wants to pay $70 more than Anthem, UHC, MOO, etc just to have the USAA branded Medigap.

Thank you all for your replies and advice.

I mentioned my plan to apply for USAA to a local broker and he wanted to sell me Allstate or ACE. I explained I wanted a company that was stable (been in the business 5 years) and would not Dead Block this business. His answer that Allstate and Ace were dominating his markets nationwide at the moment and was less expense then USAA.

Is he right? Just pick the lowest price and do not be concerned about Dead block of business?

Last edited:
Back