Using an Attorney to Get a Release from a FMO

I just received this shocking email from Select Quote!

"Ericka

Thank you for taking the time to reach out. SelectQuote has a policy of not granting immediate releases due to voluntary separation. Based on the terms of your carrier contract, You have the ability to request a delayed release from the carriers. If you wish to reappoint under a new upline, please reach out to the carrier(s) directly and work with them on moving channels without an immediate release

Thank You

Agent Licensing

SelectQuote Senior

L30t_rr3CuEww2zMZnPY1IVQTfQg6GFic3A1J8HQy-mbkvPAeBZWtw1RjeZlzcDz-qbtyA7XyXYwqcdt-pvCga__xYx5ZN0eEL1qrA4Y-ME1JRhvZ0iDkaCZm_fImrcHr_TyXlVw

6800 W 115th St, Overland Park, KS 66211

selectquotesenior.com

I just received this shocking email from Select Quote!

"Ericka

Thank you for taking the time to reach out. SelectQuote has a policy of not granting immediate releases due to voluntary separation. Based on the terms of your carrier contract, You have the ability to request a delayed release from the carriers. If you wish to reappoint under a new upline, please reach out to the carrier(s) directly and work with them on moving channels without an immediate release

Thank You

Agent Licensing

SelectQuote Senior

L30t_rr3CuEww2zMZnPY1IVQTfQg6GFic3A1J8HQy-mbkvPAeBZWtw1RjeZlzcDz-qbtyA7XyXYwqcdt-pvCga__xYx5ZN0eEL1qrA4Y-ME1JRhvZ0iDkaCZm_fImrcHr_TyXlVw

6800 W 115th St, Overland Park, KS 66211

selectquotesenior.com
Why is that shocking? Did they tell you they would release? Very few IMOs release. Most do not. And hardly any real large ones release.

I agree that the post makes no sense for a lawyer that has graduated from law school. I had a severe accident and a motorcycle back in the day, and it was not even my fault. I had to chase legally the driver of the car that hit me from a red stop, and it was not an easy case to win. I would never hire such a lawyer as only a personal injury attorney from legalgiant can help you succeed with such matters. The issue was the lack of people at the time of the accident and it was my words against his! Luckily, he put his experience into play and compared my keys to a similar case that was awarded to the victim.

Last edited:
I agree that the post makes no sense for a lawyer that has graduated from law school. I had a severe accident and a motorcycle back in the day, and it was not even my fault. I had to chase legally the driver of the car that hit me from a red stop, and it was not an easy case to win.
Spam coming soon to a Forum near and dear to us all

I know this is an old thread but the topic is relevant to me now. How do you get a release from an FMO that doesn't want to release you and an insurance company that has a clause they don't grant releases for agents with a GA contract? I'm stuck with the FMO. I was hoping to consolidate to a new one. I have two agents under me. One is a producer and the other doesn't produce but has the potential to do so (we'll see after this AEP).

I know this is an old thread but the topic is relevant to me now. How do you get a release from an FMO that doesn't want to release you and an insurance company that has a clause they don't grant releases for agents with a GA contract?

Put their name on this forum. Who are they ?

Did they tell you they would release you before you signed up ?

I signed up in 2007 as a wet behind the ears newby under my FIL. So, no discussion of a release at the time. I had no concept of it. I don't like to malign anyone so I won't mention their name other than to say they've been mentioned above and are out of Omaha!

I know this is an old thread but the topic is relevant to me now. How do you get a release from an FMO that doesn't want to release you and an insurance company that has a clause they don't grant releases for agents with a GA contract? I'm stuck with the FMO. I was hoping to consolidate to a new one. I have two agents under me. One is a producer and the other doesn't produce but has the potential to do so (we'll see after this AEP).

Then your only way out is to wait the 6 months out and not write any business with them during that time frame. You can always start using other companies in lieu of your present ones. Hopefully you will have the ability to use other companies.

This is the worst part of the insurance industry and other than getting a release at the beginning you really do not know for sure. Recruiters will sometimes say what you want to hear. I can tell you my experience. I am with Assurance for a few MA carriers, They have made it clear they do not give immediate releases, but I am super happy with them because of the structure, training, benefits, leads and they do not care if you do life, etc on the side.

I am appointed with Ritter for everything else. I have been assured that releases are available anytime, but haven't tested it because I love the independence and all of the extras they offer. In the past, I had tried to strike out with Duford and his associates 360. That was a F-ing nightmare to get out of! I just had to wait the 6 months of not selling with the carriers with Duford and get harsh with 360 (they also sold me aged leads that were 10 YEARS old!!!) Select Quote released me after a struggle and their upline for Anthem released me pretty quickly. I was really preparing to focus on under 65 packages with HST and got appointed with their carriers, but wanted a different manager. They said it wasn't possible so after reflecting I left. I received an immediate release just as promised when I started.

It sounds like a mess and it is. I just want to sell, but I also want to be treated as a professional with options. It took me a while to become cautious before agreeing to attach myself with an upline. It is not fair that we could be prohibited from selling a product for half of a year because we decide something doesn't fit. I worked very hard to become a life/health agent. I spent a lot of money on training and getting so many states. You just don't know how honest and fair an upline is until you decide to leave.

Hey you guys, I really appreciate the repsonses, so thanks.

Not selling UHC is not an option. It's my top carrier (and my personal favorite) in my area and we're heading into AEP. I saw somewhere else where someone said to term their contract but then I'd lose my renewals. Praying that the future FMO can work something out with SMS. I honestly didn't expect them to push back and don't know why the GA contract thing is different than if I was solo (Agent Level) with a street contract ($?). Evidently if I was not a GA, they would've released me.

Back