Vacant and For Sale

I have a vacant and for sale typical suburban property in a decent neighborhood i need to place. It seems the best any of my carriers are willing to offer is an FL-1 with 100k liability and high deductible at $2500.

My question is what are you guys typically able to write for the same situation? I am in WNY

What state and what limit are you looking for ?

Sent from my iPhone using InsForums

NY and I will probably just look for market value depending on the relation to replacement cost.

----------

Its not so much a matter of limits but the policy form. Like i said the highest i se3m to be able to get is an FL-1 so the only causes of loss really are Fire and lighting. I can normally write vacants with an FL-3 and include many otber endorsements if needed but the for sale in top seems to be a big risk for companies.

We have multiple carriers for that situation in MO, not as many options in KS.

Form 1 is standard, we have a small farm mutual that has an appetite for the vacant business and will offer $1,000,000 premises liability. I prefer the higher deductible when writing the business just to make sure someone has an interest in monitoring the property.

I have found some non-admitted carriers to do higher limits and replacement cost for newer construction homes. Older construction Is very hard. We use Foremost a lot if RC is not desired. It excludes theft in SC. Got put to the test on that one recently.

We have multiple carriers for that situation in MO, not as many options in KS.

Form 1 is standard, we have a small farm mutual that has an appetite for the vacant business and will offer $1,000,000 premises liability. I prefer the higher deductible when writing the business just to make sure someone has an interest in monitoring the property.

That is a good point regarding the high deductible and the owners interest in monitoring the property.

Do you find it a hard sell or what kind of approach do you take when explain to a homeowner that now they will have bare-bones coverage and the high deductible?

I've seen AMOD offer repair cost on vacant homes, but only basic form. Vacant Express will write agreed value if the home is <30 years old & will also write special form (subject to their other guidelines.)

and who says FL-1?

That is a good point regarding the high deductible and the owners interest in monitoring the property.

Do you find it a hard sell or what kind of approach do you take when explain to a homeowner that now they will have bare-bones coverage and the high deductible?

I just give a straight ahead explanation that we want to make sure the property is watched and encourage them do what they can to prevent/mitigate losses. It is usually an existing client or solid referral so I don't get normally get much pushback.

We have the product very well covered, if I hit a snag with someone that I don't have a relationship with I ask them to shop their options because this is an accommodation line for us.

Back