Wanted to Brag

"Colored" wasn't derogatory in the day I am speaking of. After all, what does NAACP stand for? One of the finest ladies I have ever known was a black lady who went by the name "Colored Bill". I no longer use the term because it has become offensive but you can't judge people of the past based upon today's standards.

My early years we grew up at my grandparents. They lived between two colored (that is how they described themselves) families. Aunt Bee and Uncle Lozy onto the other side Aunt Helen. They described themselves as Colored Folk, Some used Negro as more of a proper description. However, that stated changing to Black during the Civil Rights Era.
I grew up in a very racially mixed little town. Dust Bowl Arkies, Okies and Hillbillies again their terms, Also Chicanos, LA Raza and Mexican. Again, our own terms. Add in Colored Folk, Blacks and several words they used I won't use.

Side note: I didn't understand I wasn't really Mexican until my teens. We called white people in general Americans. Not White.

Man, these threads go sideways!

"Colored" wasn't derogatory in the day I am speaking of. After all, what does NAACP stand for? One of the finest ladies I have ever known was a black lady who went by the name "Colored Bill". I no longer use the term because it has become offensive but you can't judge people of the past based upon today's standards.

You are correct. I wasn't specifically discussing your statement. I was addressing protection of freedom of speech from the government vs total freedom to say whatever you want without any reprecutions.

Also, concerning "statues of long dead people" that doesn't make it okay to keep them if what they stood for is degregating to a whole race of people.

Granted there are shades of gray and debate is good. However, some of these people, imo, aren't the people we should be honoring.

Ymmv.

You are correct. I wasn't specifically discussing your statement. I was addressing protection of freedom of speech from the government vs total freedom to say whatever you want without any reprecutions.
Of course I am correct! I am the only person that has a better record than Rush Limbaugh. He claimed 99.6%accuracy. Mine is 100%..I may not always be right but I am never wrong.. :nah:

Latest posts

Back