What Do I Start with First?

My buddy uses fax87.com. I use a regular fax machine bc I can do it for free

I use a fax machine as well but have to pay for landline. Work from home, and don't necessarily need a landline. I was told in the past online faxes were not HIPPA compliant, but it looks like some are HIPPA compliant.

I won't have to worry about that scenario WC since I am not selling over the phone (well very very rarely anyway). I plan on doing the traditional sales method with cold call/sit/sale. This was something that was done at my previous job due to massive MA plan drops and needing to mail out 600 applications in 6 weeks. My previous agency I worked at used postage paid envelops and a PO Box so it would take the Post Office an extra day or two to sort our mail and give it to us. I don't plan on ever having to tell a client to do that since I will be collecting 99% of all my apps personally. The problem does persist with any mailed in MA application though, even without postage paid PO Box mailing it still takes 2 to 3 days to receive that app back. The carriers will still give you a hard time if you do that many times over.

@sman I told you my office manager handled 100% of application submissions, so this would mean I never did it before and only know about it because of AHIP testing. My 10 years of experience have primarily come in the form of telemarketing, customer service, and PDP sales over the phone to help my agencies' brokers out during AEP. I have sold a few health plans (2 MAs and 1 Supp) but those were walk-in referrals for other agent's client and I got reduced commission for it. My old agency looked to pay the originating agent 50% and if another in-house agent sold that same client the originated agent who didn't write the new plan would still get 25% and the new writing agent would only get 25% commissions. I hated that they did this and is a big reason why I never wanted to be a sales agent at my old job. I learned what I could, mastered customer service, and parted ways. I would say I am in an excellent position to start doing this and I already have much knowledge of this industry. Doesn't mean I know everything and I never will say that.

Last edited:
I use a fax machine as well but have to pay for landline. Work from home, and don't necessarily need a landline. I was told in the past online faxes were not HIPPA compliant, but it looks like some are HIPPA compliant.

They aren't HIPPA or HIPPO compliant. I've never heard that they weren't HIPAA compliant.:)

Sales related question. To replace like to like for Med Supps, if the client doesn't know what plan letter (or in my State plan riders) they have on their current Med Supp, is there an easy way to find that out or will it always say what riders they have on their card? I'm guessing the policy info will have it but do most seniors keep the policy info when they got their current Supp? In WI we have base policies with Part A deductible, Part B deductible, Home health, Foreign travel and excess charges rider.

Sales related question. To replace like to like for Med Supps, if the client doesn't know what plan letter (or in my State plan riders) they have on their current Med Supp, is there an easy way to find that out or will it always say what riders they have on their card? I'm guessing the policy info will have it but do most seniors keep the policy info when they got their current Supp? In WI we have base policies with Part A deductible, Part B deductible, Home health, Foreign travel and excess charges rider.

http://www.insurance-forums.net/for...m/not-sure-what-medigap-they-have-t80224.html

Yeah I figured it was take a wild guess kind of thing. I'm worried about what all the riders people have which is even harder to determine. The premium increase for Home health and Foreign travel is low and most people don't have them. Most people have the Part A deductible and Part B deductible riders and slightly rarer is the excess charges rider. Do most client keep their original policy info do you find or is it rare that seniors keep that around after 5 years?

Back