What is wrong with business owners?

Re: What the hell is wrong with business owners?

I find your post contradictary. First you say he is doing well and then you tell him he has to change. You are also misusing the contraction 'you're'. In this case, it should be 'your'. Just trying to help.

Boy, The Rabbi has a burr under his saddle today, doesn't he?

Somebody must have stolen his downline again....

I don't mean to come across as whining, I knew the game going in. My spill goes like this:

Hello I specialize in working with small business owners to control their major medical cost and improve on employee benefits.

If they say they are happy with their current health care situation then I move into the benefits of a Section 125 plan. I know my presentation could use some fine tuning, but I've actually had owners they looked at cafeteria plans before and could not afford them??? I explain Section 125 plans are cheap and the benefit buy still no bites. Where is my approach going wrong?

I have a mentor but he is so busy he can rarely go out, maybe I need to find another. But most of my calls have been via phone. My success is a little bit better when I go in person.

Your "spill" is awfully boring.

Alright if my spill is boring, which I don't doubt it is, any suggestions on livening it up a tad?

Bob, I will contact you for some suggestions. Thanks!!

I kind of agree with Paul here. In this economy, you are going to have to bring some real (perception) value to an employer. Many employers right now are trying to decide whether to drop group health benefits altogether (it's starting to happen all over CA) so any extra expenditure that does not actually reduce the employer's outlay, is going to be met with a serious lack of interest.

Unless you are going to address the major cost driver (the health insurance) you may be spitting in the wind. No employer wants to spend any more money on benefits for their employees right now. That is where they are trying to cut, you can't bring in something that is going to cost the employer anything and not bring value to the employer. Employee retention is virtually dead nowadays, there are lines of people and hundreds of resumes on file to replace anyone who wants to leave the same day.

This is where Paul's point makes sense to me....hey, let me see if I can get you quality health coverage and reduce your premium outlay. Now that is something the employer would be interested in. Couple that with a 125 plan using some (not all) of the premium savings and you can create a win-win.

"Mr. Blowhard, this is Agent X. Right now my job is helping employers drastically reduce the cost of their group health insurance premiums while not reducing the overall quality of coverage. I help employers save money and keep benefits. Doyou think I could get 10 minutes of your time this week to talk about this?"

Last edited:

Alright if my spill is boring, which I don't doubt it is, any suggestions on livening it up a tad?

Bob, I will contact you for some suggestions. Thanks!!

"________, this is Labman with _______. Do you mind if I ask you a question?" If he gives his consent, he's given you permission to say anything that you want to say. Then hit him with the most disturbing question that you can think of. I don't sell what you sell, but maybe these other guys can suggest some disturbing questions. Keep in mind that seemingly intelligent people frequently make very stupid decisions about their money. Using logic to make the sale rarely works.

Last edited:
Woowee, you guys were right,my spill is terribly boring compared to what you have suggested. Come to think of it, I don't know if I would be interested either.

Thanks guys, as a newbie I really can use all the suggestions you guys want to give.

Have a great day and thanks again!!!!

Mr. Blowhard, this is Joe Agent. I've got a no-risk offer for you. If I can't lower your major medical cost by seventeen percent, and still provide you with good, safe coverage, I'll give you five hundred bucks cash.

That will get some attention.

Better get your wallet out then, I almost cringe when the % statement comes out.

Why not use 30%, 430% or 40% then?

Forgive me, but I'm reminded, for some reason of an auto dealer here in L.A., Cal Worthington. In the 60's/70's he had a "dog" (elephant, tiger, bear.) named spot. He said that if he couldn't beat any deal he'd, depending upon the advert, eat a bug, or stand on his head, "till my ears are turning red..."

The point being, this. Surely there's a better way to break the ice, either over the phone or belly to belly that doesn't involve this "magical" percentage statement?

Just wondering.

________, this is Labman with _______. Do you mind if I ask you a question? If he gives his consent, he's given you permission to say anything that you want to say. Then hit him with the most disturbing question that you can think

Good advice, I know this works.

Cal Worthington. Haven't thought of him in years.

I assume he has passed on to that car dealer in the sky.

Back