What Would You Do About This?

somarco

GA Medicare Expert
5000 Post Club
Atlanta
Client emailed, worried about xs charges (Plan N). She read on the internet that xs charges can run into the thousands of dollars.

Since she saw it on the internet it must be true.

Thinking about offering to pay any xs charges approved by Medicare from a provider that accepts assignment.

Thoughts?

Client emailed, worried about xs charges (Plan N). She read on the internet that xs charges can run into the thousands of dollars. Since she saw it on the internet it must be true. Thinking about offering to pay any xs charges approved by Medicare from a provider that accepts assignment. Thoughts?
"What you read on the Internet is wrong, likely written by agents trying to scare people into plans that pay them a higher commission at your expense. I have more than a hundred clients in Plan N an none has had thousands, or even hundreds, in excess charges. But the most important thing is you being comfortable with the plan you're in. If you're still uncomfortable about Plan N, we can get you Plan G. No excess charges."

I would not offer to pay them. No risk that you'd have to pay, of course, just not what I'd do as you'd be offering to do something you legally can't do.

Mike, Wes, she can't qualify for G.

Dandan, I know. Figured that was a sure win (for me) so thought about throwing that out.

Yeah, I thought about the rebating "trap" but figured if it would never happen I would be in the clear. Also figured she would back off her tirade if she thought there was no financial risk to her.

This woman has been a PITA from the start. Never asks anything, just talks to her friends, looks on the internet, then tells me what she wants.

So she got what she asked for.

Then after doing more research she discovered she might be liable for xs charges in the thousands of dollars. Can't qualify medically for anything else so she is stuck.

Just trying to come up with something to appease her that creates fewer problems for me.

Anyone want to take her over by AOR?

Show her the plan rates in an AARP book. Plan F and plan C, one has excess one does not, show her the value attributed in the premiums. They can be less than $1 in some areas. So, the largest Medicare supplement carrier thinks that excess is worth a $1/month premium, that tells me that it is not really much of a risk.

Great, but Mayo doesn't accept assignment so your response doesn't apply to my conditional wager. But thank you for pointing that out.

If she's that big a PITA, just refer her to SMAN. He specializes in time wasting clients. You're too busy for that kind of crap.

Rick

Excess charges are from non-participating providers who bill Medicare but do not accept assignment. Here is a recent thread: http://www.insurance-forums.net/for...ality-part-b-excess-charges-supps-t78922.html

Since you are in GA, here is how the Mayo Clinic in JAX calculates their excess charges: http://www.mayoclinic.org/documents/mayo-clinic-medicare-and-you/doc-20078770

I know that patients at Mayo Clinic here in Jax. Fl also get billed the extra 2% after medicare pays only 78% to these providers due to the Medicare Sequester law that went in to effect 3/1/13

Will Beneficiaries Bear Extra Medicare Costs Due to the Sequester?

Back