Where\How do these lead\data companies get their data?

CMS regulations require an appointment. Lead cards are only acceptable if they are "fresh" (I can't remember the time requirement at the moment).

Most carriers insist on a telephone call. I think consideration is the real rule. Many seniors do not appreciate a stranger showing up on their doorstep unannounced.

Please call your prospects before going to their door.

You should start a new thread and post all the rules that you want to make up and just pass them off as CMS rules.

IS it against CMS rules to say a rule is a CMS rule when it is not? :skeptical:

retread -- "lead cards are only acceptable if they are "fresh" (I can't remember the time requirement at the moment)."

CMS does have rules on using stale leads. If my recollection is correct, the answer is è 6 months.

“Twenty years ago a trainer once told me – These leads are not like wine -- they don’t get better with time”.

Show me the CMS rule that says you cannot door knock for med supps.

Even so, state laws apply so those have to be understood. They may or may not set further restrictions. In addition, the carriers have rules. AARP/United Health for example will not allow cold calling for med supps even though there may not be a CMS or state rule against it.

Winter

Show me the CMS rule that says you cannot door knock for med supps.

Actually, you are correct as far as the law is concerned. The issue goes towards professionalism and respect for your clients, regardless of the letter of the law. CMS regulates MA plans, not Med Sups, because Med Sups are not "Health Plans". MAs are Medicare Health Plans and therefore regulated by CMS: Med Sups are private supplemental health insurance policies regulated by the NAIC with "guidance" from CMS. That may change if agents continue as you seem inclined.

What I am calling for is decency. Besides, I know many of the so-called Med Sup salesmen that go door-to-door, turn around and make an MA presentation once inside. These are the guys that are creating the problem for the rest of us. (I am not accusing you, but if the shoe fits...)

If you indeed continue with this stubbornness, you will not get sympathy from me when you get busted for unethical sales tactics. It may take a while, but I am convinced that it will happen to you someday. That is why I plead with you to change your method.

Perhaps my comments about CMS regulations were stretched a bit, but they do convey the spirit of the law. If agents continue in the same vein as you propose, we can expect that there will be changes in the law to regulate Med Sups just as tightly as MAs, and for good reason. That being agents who can't bring themselves to respect the privacy of seniors. The end result will be a requirment by law to refrain from that conduct. If we act to police ourselves, we can forestall this situation from developing.

Actually, you are correct as far as the law is concerned. The issue goes towards professionalism and respect for your clients, regardless of the letter of the law. CMS regulates MA plans, not Med Sups, because Med Sups are not "Health Plans". MAs are Medicare Health Plans and therefore regulated by CMS: Med Sups are private supplemental health insurance policies regulated by the NAIC with "guidance" from CMS. That may change if agents continue as you seem inclined.

What I am calling for is decency. Besides, I know many of the so-called Med Sup salesmen that go door-to-door, turn around and make an MA presentation once inside. These are the guys that are creating the problem for the rest of us. (I am not accusing you, but if the shoe fits...)

If you indeed continue with this stubbornness, you will not get sympathy from me when you get busted for unethical sales tactics. It may take a while, but I am convinced that it will happen to you someday. That is why I plead with you to change your method.

Perhaps my comments about CMS regulations were stretched a bit, but they do convey the spirit of the law. If agents continue in the same vein as you propose, we can expect that there will be changes in the law to regulate Med Sups just as tightly as MAs, and for good reason. That being agents who can't bring themselves to respect the privacy of seniors. The end result will be a requirment by law to refrain from that conduct. If we act to police ourselves, we can forestall this situation from developing.

KMA,

Don't try to put me down because you don't know your head from your butt. No one has had a problem with me showing up on their door step. It is called work.

GO think of another rule to make up and then call me unprofessional when i prove you wrong. I just don't want new agents coming on here reading your BS rules and then they think they cannot prospect door to door. Rediculous:twitchy:

“Twenty years ago a trainer once told me – These leads are not like wine -- they don’t get better with time”.

I totally disagree with his statement. Mine are like wine, at least enough of them to make it worth while to, not only put them in the prospects database but to also contact them again in the future.

I routinely sell Med Supps to seniors that I have talked to 6,12,18, 24 and even 36 months ago.

Agents who work in the senior market know that the vast majority of seniors are constantly looking for something cheaper, not necessarily better but cheaper. They are all about saving literally pennies per month on the cost of their health insurance.

Every time a company has an increase on their Med Supps I print out a list of everyone I have talked to in the past who told me they had their Supp with that company. It is like Bankers Life, for example, giving me a list of their policy holders in my area.

I simply call those people and say that I have heard that the cost of their Supplement is going up. Most will express great concern and once they do that it is quite easy to setup an appointment.

I will take all the "old leads" you have if you also know the company they have their insurance with. The majority of my sales come from "old, cold, leads".

Back