Which Tablet and Why?

I think any suggestion other than an iPad is flawed at this point. Apple is clearly ahead of the competition, and their app store is the most robust. Carriers are also going to flock to it more than any other (when they come around; I assume they're still waiting to see if it will catch on), due to its popularity.

Transamerica just came out with an ap.

I have an IPad for personal use and absolutely love it. Tablets will replace laptops within the next couple or few years - once you start using one you will see. Lack of Flash player is major pain though.

I heard a rumor from one of our tech weenies in the home office that WinFlex is beta-ing an app or program for use on the IPad. Would love for that to happen.

I have a Samsung Galaxy 10.1 and I love it. Dual core, lots of memory, fun to carry around.

Not sure I'd want to use it much for apps vs paper, but I could just be old school.

Android is cheaper, has more apps and app access, it also will play flash. If you have an iPad there are some sites you just won't be able to access.

I also have a GT 10.1. Had it for about 7 months now and I am ready to sell it. No matter how much (some) people tell me that Android is better than iOS, I just don't see it.
iOS just works and works extremely well.

For instance, I now do a lot of MAPD and med supp apps online and I have been doing them since last year on my Galaxy Tab (GT). I have problems almost every time, either the tablet will connect and disconnect from the internet periodically or my biggest gripe is when you click on a link or try to input information, it never does it correctly.

I've had an iPhone and every iPhone since the V1 (first one). I wanted to get a android tablet just to have something different than a bigger iPhone. I wish I could go back in time and buy the iPad.
Just this past week I went to a clients house to sign him up for a med supp and noticed that my battery was dying. The client pulled out his iPad 2 and I did the app online. Everything about it was so much better. Everything typed exactly like I was intending to do, links were exact and forms were easier to fill out. I can't explain it but it just works better.

I think not having Flash capability on ipad is the major drawback.

That's the only leg up that Android has and I thought owning an Android OS would open up a new world to having Flash on a tablet.....I was wrong. On all the websites I've been on, I can't recall anytime I missed flash.

How is their app store more robust that android?

Apple has a great following, but the Android tablets have a lot of advantages Apple simply doesn't have, like Flash.

I think the carriers are less of an issue, at least for me. I have wi-fi most places I go and where I don't I just tether my cell phone so there is no sense in paying for a service I more or less already have.

I don't care about carrier either, I have a jail broken iPhone and use MyWi to tether freely to my tablet

To the OP, go the store and try them all out and see which you like the best. I did this last year and ended up getting the GT 10.1. It was the best IMO at the time but I didn't give the iPad any thought . Obviously I wish I had.

If all else fails you can buy my GT for $300 :1laugh:

As far as resale goes, tuff to beat Apple products. Buy an iPad today or iPhone and two years later you get a lot of your money back. That can't be said for anything else I've seen in this grouping of electronics.

With that said, if it doesn't do what you need it to do then resale doesn't matter much.

I just sold an old (3 years) cracked iPhone on eBay for around $150. Try selling an old cracked Android on eBay LOL.

If all else fails you can buy my GT for $300 :1laugh:

That's a bargain. I wish I had an excuse to get a second one ;)

At the rest of your issues, that stuff does happen. It's sort of a mixed bag. There are a lot of cool things I can do on my tablet that my sister-in-law can't do on her iPad, not the least of which is I like the interface a lot more. There are a TON of customization options and cool things you can do with something like the GT you just can't with an iPad.

At a minimum, you can't compare the $300 tablets to a $600 iPad. The GT is a much more sophisticated piece of hardware than a lot of those others in the lower price ranges.

I bought my wife a nook tablet and she loves it because it does everything she wants (magazines, hulu, netflix, angry birds), I think the iPad is somewhere between that and the android devices, but not everyone wants to be able to customize and adjust their tablet.

Hands down, the GT was the right choice for me.

Hands down, the iPad was the right choice for my sister-in-law.

Hands down, the nook tablet was the right choice for my wife.

YMMV
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
As far as resale goes, tuff to beat Apple products. Buy an iPad today or iPhone and two years later you get a lot of your money back. That can't be said for anything else I've seen in this grouping of electronics.

With that said, if it doesn't do what you need it to do then resale doesn't matter much.

I just sold an old (3 years) cracked iPhone on eBay for around $150. Try selling an old cracked Android on eBay LOL.

That's a misleading number. I bought a Samsung Fascinate when it was still a fairly new phone (still on display at Verizon stores) for $140. I could probably get $50-$100 now, but I use it as an iPod for running and a calculator when I'm feeling like an adventure.

The difference between the resale values on an android device vs an apple product don't make up for the difference in price. Don't get me wrong, I LOVE my MacBook Pros, but no way in hell will it depreciate less than my PC laptop (for SEO and quoting stuff). I paid $400 for my PC and $1,400+ for my MacBook Pro. I could throw the PC in the dumpster when I'm done with it and lose less than I'll lose on my MBP. The tablets aren't much different.

Last edited:
Go ask Verizon, AT&T, and Sprint what they think about Apple. They would love for anyone else to come on strong. They are basically losing money every time someone activates an iPad or iPhone.

Carriers being insurance carriers, not data/cell carriers. Should have specified.

As far as resale value, im not sure how well the iPad's value hold up but I've owned every iPhone and everytime I sell it for a lot more than I paid for it.

For example, I paid $200 for my iPhone 4. Sold it one year later for $360 plus shipping.
I paid $200 for my 4S and I'm sure it'll sell over $300 again.
You can't beat the resale value of iPhones

I pad because it works every time you need it. Also I'm not a tech guy but it seems that Macs run the same from day one out of the box to years down the road without slowing down. For example there are several movies on my I pad and it runs like brand new. If those were on my laptop it would slow down the performance.

Back