Who to Work For?

Jess

Expert
Hello,
I have a sort of dilemma, AFLAC offered me a job if I would get my insurance license so I took it not really knowing much about the insurance industry. I have been working for them for aprox. 2 months now and I am not sure if I like the group policies setting.

I have 5 other companies contact me for different types of insurance jobs and I am wondering if, as a complete beginner, I might do better somewhere else. below I listed the companies and positions they are offering, any advise or information on the companies would be greatly appreciated.

-colonial life as an enroller
-waddell and reed as a financial advisor
-coldwell bankers as a sales associate
-Bankers life and casualty as an independant agent
-Farmers insurance offered me my own office

Hello,
I have a sort of dilemma, AFLAC offered me a job if I would get my insurance license so I took it not really knowing much about the insurance industry. I have been working for them for aprox. 2 months now and I am not sure if I like the group policies setting.

I have 5 other companies contact me for different types of insurance jobs and I am wondering if, as a complete beginner, I might do better somewhere else. below I listed the companies and positions they are offering, any advise or information on the companies would be greatly appreciated.

-colonial life as an enroller
-waddell and reed as a financial advisor
-coldwell bankers as a sales associate
-Bankers life and casualty as an independant agent
-Farmers insurance offered me my own office

Colonial Life - Crappy training like AFLAC
Waddell and Reed - Unsure
Coldwall Bankers - Unsure
Bankers Life and Casualty - DO NOT DO THIS ONE. THEY ARE TERRIBLE!! I worked for for a while, its just a sweatshop.
Farmers - Not a bad gig but you are not even close to being able to handle it. no offense or anything but its not like these other ones.

**Google "Independent Insurance Agent (your zip code)" and call them. If one of them gives you a shot, that would be your best bet.

Hope this helps! :)

-colonial life as an enroller----Not much different than AFLAC
-waddell and reed as a financial advisor----more licenses you need
-coldwell bankers as a sales associate-----real estate market still in the crapper but has nowhere to go but up.
-Bankers life and casualty as an independant agent----RUN RUN RUN from that outfit
-Farmers insurance offered me my own office----research other threads in this Forum regarding that outfit

First thing you need to do is research this Forum. Don't accept just any job----you have to have the desire to work in a certain area to be successful. It's obvious supplemental insurance is not your cup of tea. Find a niche you have an interest in and specialize in it.

Hello,
I have a sort of dilemma, AFLAC offered me a job if I would get my insurance license so I took it not really knowing much about the insurance industry. I have been working for them for aprox. 2 months now.........-waddell and reed as a financial advisor.....

wow......really......

If you're not ready to go independent and need/wanting training and financial support, start interviewing with some real players who can help you succeed.

Northwestern Mutual Life
MassMutual
Guardian Life
New York Life
Prudential

I'd be on the phone to their recruiters today. All solid companies with long histories (well over 100 years), good training, financial support for new agents and a ready product line of qualify insurance and investment products.

Just my $.02

I'm sure you're a great guy but you have to know----these companies will hire just about anyone.....with or without a license. As others have pointed out, find a company that just doesn't hire anyone and move forward and get the best training you can get with minimum, or zero, investment by you. You shouldn't have to pay a penny to work for a reputable organization.

I'm sure you're a great guy but you have to know----these companies will hire just about anyone.....with or without a license. As others have pointed out, find a company that just doesn't hire anyone and move forward and get the best training you can get with minimum, or zero, investment by you. You shouldn't have to pay a penny to work for a reputable organization.

Girl :) and I kind of figured that was the case with these companies seeing as I have no real background or a lot of experience in insurance. everybody on this forum is so helpful and I am glad I found it because I was pretty much lost as to what or where I should be going

You sound like you have the right attitude. The best thing you can do is find a niche you can specialize in and then read and learn everything you can about that niche. Become the expert. With expertise comes confidence. Your confidence and knowledge will trump your youth when you are dealing with interested prospects. If you choose to go independent, go with an Independent Marketing Organization (IMO or FMO) that will train you (and not charge you for that training). Many great organizations like that have tons of webinars you can attend online.

Good luck and stick around the Forum. Too many come on here and stick around for a day or two....never to be heard from again.

Thank you, I like the independent agent part of it, but I hate the prospecting. almost everywhere I go has already been bugged to death by a hundred other agents. they should be more organized and have territories. Colonial life doesnt want me to prospect just enroll employees in companies that work with brokers who work with colonial. It sounds a lot better then the AFLAC approach but I know they are AFLAC competitors so there cant be much of a difference in business I wouldnt think.

Back