Why I decided to get a Series 65

Travis Price

Guru
1000 Post Club
Over the last few months, I have been thinking about getting a Series 65.

My niche is Medicare with some Term just recently coming in and I'm branching out into Fixed Annuities.

So, I have no practical use for a Series 65 as it involves my insurance business. So why you may ask?

Those of us that spend time in alternative asset investing have a significant disadvantage. Most assets in this sector (think real estate crowdfunding, VC funding, certain REITs) are simply locked up.. for the exception of Accredited Investors.

I don't have quite a million dollars in net worth.
I definitely don't make 200k a year over the last 2 years.
I don't work for a fund.

The straw that ultimately broke my indecisiveness is that the SEC has FINALLY made some headway with cryptocurrency lenders. Not only can I use a collateralized loan to get 0-1% interest-only loans, but I can get access to S&P level annualized returns just by holding stable coins (pegged to the USD) in an account (with minimal risk) at 7-19%. All investments that are currently in the lender will continue to earn interest, anything new (or moved out) will not.

After crunching the numbers, the investments that I hold and will likely hold in the future, I decided in the short term it was best for me.

The downside is that if I don't meet the accredited investor requirements in two years, I have to retest. HOWEVER, it also gives me more breathing room and time for the SEC to get their shit together.

So now I'm studying for the Series 65.

Back