Why is It So Hard to Find Agents Who Want to Work?

Your model looks to be more for a GA.

From running a small agency for a few years there were basically two methods:

1) Reduced comp in exchange for free leads and ton of hand holding
2) Street + bonuses with almost no hand holding

Guess which system worked out the best? You guess it - street + bonuses. Under that system you get the best of the best.

Under any kind of comp below street, regardless of what else you're offering to make up for it you'll end up attracting dreks.

My good buddy works for a large agency working the group market. he's on salary +....plus a lot; company car, health, 401K, etc...

Yet he still has to prospect; cold call business owners to set up appointments. They can't keep agents to save their life and this is with series of interviews and over a 50K base.

Why would that be?

I've been an agent for over 40 years. Most people do not have the stamina or drive to work 18 hour days for the first 5 years to establish a book. As the old joke goes:
Q: I asked a broker how many producers he had working for him? Answer:He answered "about half of them".

Who are we kidding. This is not a problem exclusive to the insurance industry. I hated working corporate jobs because people did not want to work.

MOST people do the bare minimum and are waiting for the bell to ring at 5pm - let's face facts. Very few people on this plant are driven.

Looking for solid, sharp people isn't a problem for small agencies. It's a problem for Fortune 500 companies.

Maybe I could offer another answer to the question?

Maybe you aren't that great a guy to work for?

If you're having trouble retaining employees it does come back to you. Either you aren't that great to work for or the people you are hiring aren't up to snuff.

I've been an agent for over 40 years. Most people do not have the stamina or drive to work 18 hour days for the first 5 years to establish a book. As the old joke goes:
Q: I asked a broker how many producers he had working for him? Answer:He answered "about half of them".

Half is an overstatement. Usually an 80/20 rule applies, and the 20 is the number of folks working.

The key for me is to lead by example.

If you are not writing any new business how can you teach someone to produce?

The reason may be because those who do "want to work" already are. Those who don't want to are spending their time looking for that magic something that will bring clients to them without them having to spend any time doing it.

This job should be called "prospecting for insurance", not "selling insurance". Prospecting is work, selling is the fun easy part.

Run an ad stating that you are looking for insurance agents to prospect for clients and I'll bet no one answers. However, run an ad that says earn big commissions "selling" insurance and I'll bet you are swamped with applicants.

Back