Why should I let you help me?

Dick Bullock . . .

An agent from the way back . . . Dick brought me along to discuss retirement plans with one of his life insurance clients.

Dick was extremely self confident with a mercurial personality and would turn on you in a heartbeat. He was there for the annual review and nonchalantly recommended an additional $500k for estate liquidity. The client looked over the proposal, paused, and said "Dick, I feel like I have enough insurance already".

Dick immediately closed his notebook, stood up and said "G-D you deserve to die without it." He then turned to me and said "Come on, Bob. We are leaving".

He was my ride so I had no choice. In the car he continued cursing the man while I said nothing. That was the first time I had seen an agent act like that in front of the client.

When we got back to the agent Dick was handed a note to call the client. Dick invited me into his office, dialed the client and put him on speakerphone. The client apologized for questioning the recommendation and said he was ready to buy.

"Well damnit Jim, you wasted my time and Bob's. You come to my office and bring your checkbook".

About an hour later the guy showed up, checkbook in hand, and bought the $500k

I had never seen the take away close work like that before . . .
Haha!

That's legendary (100% not my style but would be fun to be a fly on the wall)

That's legendary (100% not my style but would be fun to be a fly on the wall)

Dick was a legend in his own mind. He was a little, skinny guy but he would go toe to toe with anyone . . . shouting, waving his arms and pointing fingers.

Complete opposite of his dad who brought him into the business. Dad was a class act.

Obviously this is a trust issue. I work differently than most people, so take this with a grain of salt.

People call me, I don't call them. If they asked me that question, I would ask them why they didn't contact SHIP first?

In short, I would just say that SHIP counselors are pretty knowledgeable about Medicare, but don't know anything about insurance. I work with these providers daily, so when something comes up.. I know who to call. I also know how to guide you based on your needs. SHIP is generally just going to throw a plan at you.

You can use them if you want. However, they might not be there in a year when you have a question.

Then I'd ask them what they want to do....

99% of the time, the answer is keep going... they just want to know that you provide value.

I got questioned while I was at a persons house. I was helping the husband, and the wife who was not medicare agem grilled me. She asked why they should work with me instead of the people at SHIP (volunteers of the state who are apparently medicare advisors). I wasn’t really sure how to respond to that as it caught me off guard.

What would you say to this If it were you?
I think you have to disarm them... respond with something like... Maybe you shouldn't work with me, we might not be a great fit, I think the folks at SHIP do some great work, and some of them have actually referred people to me. They do have some training, but it is limited in certain areas....

Also, ask them questions, ask them about their experience with SHIP in the past.. control the conversation by asking questions, be genuinely curious, seeking to learn, but you probably will find they dont have a relationship with the SHIP counselor.

I wasn’t really sure how to respond to that as it caught me off guard.

I would just answer it.

I believe I am the best agent for most of my clients. It is me picking them as much as it is them picking me. Maybe more so.

I would answer the question truthfully and matter of factually. Pause for a half second for any questions then carry on.

If I catch a negative vibe, I thank them for their time, and bounce. It's happy hour somewhere.

Back