Will Medicare Eligibles Stay with ACA Rather Than Move to Medicare?

your missing the point Medicare Eligibility. you can be 65 and not be eligible for Medicare. that is why it does not say 65 in the brochure. it says eligible for Medicare. they can keep insurance until they are Eligible. if your client is eligible for Medicare then they will not be eligible for the insurance. you don't have different rates. the rates you are talking about were filled in june of this year. you are over thinking this issue. your original question was about a client. to answer your question on that client. if they become eligible for Medicare then they will lose there plan. If they are not eligible for Medicare then they can keep there plan.

I'm not missing the point. I do a lot of Medicare business & fully understand the rules. The point is that prior to this individual plans typically ended coverage for those who were 65 - Medicare eligible or not. My question was related to if they were Medicare eligible - had part A, then kept the ACA plan. later, when they picked up Part B, are they subject to the penalty. Read my previous posts.

And Houcoogster, you may in fact be right . . . with CMS running Federal exchanges, I could see lines becoming very blurred very quickly with them "streamlining" all sorts of things . . . not even Gen Xers - could begin to apply to people at the tail end of the baby boomers like myself. That's what Paul Ryan envisioned - his cutoff a few years ago was that anyone at that point who was below the age of 54 would get "vouchers" or "premium support" to purchase their own insurance ongoing instead of receiving Medicare. This could very well be a way of laying the groundwork for a program similar to that in the future. personally I don't want that - I've contributed to Medicare my whole life and now I pay full freight for Medicare & Social Security contributions in the way of self-employment tax, while in this new world, I don't qualify for subsidies, but get to pay for everyone else's. . . .jeez . . . .

Just a point to clarify something from earlier: Medicare is not automatically enrolled unless the person is already receiving Social Security payments. Otherwise they have to enroll. Seems most folks sign up to receive the income before 65, but not all.
Found this:
Medicare - How do I get it?
Sometimes you are automatically enrolled in Medicare Parts
A&B, but sometimes you have to sign up yourself. Nobody is
automatically enrolled in Part D or Medicare Advantage.
You will automatically be signed up for Parts A & B if you...
• are turning 65 and already get benefits from Social Security
or the Railroad Retirement Board (RRB).
• are under 65 and have a disability.
• have ALS (Lou Gehrig’s disease).
You will need to sign up for Parts A & B if you...
• are turning 65 and don’t already receive Social Security
or RRB benefits.
• have End-Stage Renal Disease (ESRD).

I see the concern about keeping ACA plans, but doubt if it will apply to Medicare eligibles. It's frustrating to have so little transparency/training in home office reps.

Last edited:
Back