Will Technology Kill the Agent?

I guess I had that coming. I understand.

Sorry to have angered you.

All the world’s a stage,
And all the men and women merely players;
They have their exits and their entrances... - Shakespere, As You Like It

And so I make my exit... "A long time ago in a galaxy far, far away," I learned not take on fights I can't win. Better to fall back and live to fight another day.

God bless... semper fidelis.

No anger here mate. Glad you have a sense of humour.

If the agent was going to die because of laziness and/or incompetence, then yah, he'll say that it was technology that did it. I am a salesman at heart and currently an agent in practice. If I have to sell pencil erasers door to door I'd do it to make a living. The product doesn't matter to me.

Technology is a double edged sword that we as agents have to control because it cuts both ways. We need to master technology to make our underwriting, product knowledge, and compliance training more effective. What we can not have happen is technology replacing the agent in the public's eye. Insurance always should be a businees with personality run by personalities. The agent is the heart of the industry if we loose this to the e-surrances of the world our careers will be outsourced like so many other U.S. jobs and the clients will suffer.

Term Quote has not IMO killed the term market. Its easy to overcome the"cheap is best" advertised by these folks. Not all, but most people still want to work with an agent.Especially when there is a claim.
I see technology killing itself. In the future there will be huge markets for people getting tired of computerized sales. Especially when the see how they may have been conned.

Insurance is sold not bought. The 'web based agencies' are either selling leads or are insurance agents who are marketing as web based entities. This is too complicated for 90% of Americans to figure out. I meet many professionals who know zip about investments and insurance.

Technology doesn't threaten me. As you may have seen in other threads, I'm primarily a buy here pay here car dealer, insurance agent second. Technology doesn't threaten me in either respect because I've got value to add to the purchase. I'm not the least bit threatened by ebay, cars.com, craigslist, sell-your-own lots, or even local auctions. A local dealer brings something to the table that no one else does. Same with the insurance business. Sure you can call GEICO, and their rates may even be better most of the time. If all you're selling is price, you're likely losing to someone else, whether they're technologically up to date or not.

Technology doesn't threaten me. As you may have seen in other threads, I'm primarily a buy here pay here car dealer, insurance agent second. Technology doesn't threaten me in either respect because I've got value to add to the purchase. I'm not the least bit threatened by ebay, cars.com, craigslist, sell-your-own lots, or even local auctions. A local dealer brings something to the table that no one else does. Same with the insurance business. Sure you can call GEICO, and their rates may even be better most of the time. If all you're selling is price, you're likely losing to someone else, whether they're technologically up to date or not.

Do you make your customers buy insurance from you? I would think as long as there are broke people with big refund checks your business will be good.

Do you make your customers buy insurance from you? I would think as long as there are broke people with big refund checks your business will be good.

LOL of course not. That's a good way to go out of business quickly.

I'm just saying some customers want nothing BUT bottom dollar, but those are the ones that cause the most problems, take up your time, and ultimately don't stick with you anyway. No matter what you're selling, even if you're the cheapest right now, you won't be later on.

Even customers who have price as a primary focus, still have other concerns. My biggest competition until recently was an independent up the road that sold mostly junk insurance because it was bottom dollar. They couldn't keep up with demand, had long wait times both in office and on the phone, and even if my price was no better, I still made a lot of sales because of the service aspect. Now that agency has been bought out by Direct General, who has an office full of CSR's who don't give a crap, and that's an even bigger boon to me. Competing with online or over-the-phone carriers is no different.

Point being, you can have all the technology in the world, but if your focus is where it ought to be, especially if you can grow with the changes, paradigm shifts like online shopping shouldn't be any real concern.

In my 26 years of doing this stuff.... there is always something that will KILL the agent. It seems like it's just about every year. Somehow I survive. :)

Things like this will end some agents careers as they struggle with adapt, adjust and thrive.

The odd thing though... a couple of days ago, my internet service crashed in the area and was down about 18 hours. I really couldn't do a great deal of stuff as I use technology quite a bit now. There aren't even that many papers to file anymore...

Back