Will Technology Kill the Agent?

In my 26 years of doing this stuff.... there is always something that will KILL the agent. It seems like it's just about every year. Somehow I survive. :) Things like this will end some agents careers as they struggle with adapt, adjust and thrive. The odd thing though... a couple of days ago, my internet service crashed in the area and was down about 18 hours. I really couldn't do a great deal of stuff as I use technology quite a bit now. There aren't even that many papers to file anymore...

What about the technology in the cars? With all the crazy collision avoidance systems coming out, I think accidents will occur less often....and this tech, will only get better. 10-15 years from now, I would be surprised all cars have all these feature standard, much like backup cameras and blind spot assistance.

If cars are so smart and preventing accidents won't premiums on auto policies have to decrease significantly?

What about self driving cars? That could be an end to car insurance? Scary to think about if you are just getting started in this industry.

This is a great thread.
I have been thinking this myself lately. I do agree with most on here that technology will not kill the agent, unless they refuse to adapt.

Of all the agents here, who has websites?
How effective are they? Do people usually just want quotes or are you able to engage them in conversation of the phone or video chat?

I have been thinking about having a website and I would appreciate any thought or suggestions.

Scooter33, I had a conversation with my Dad 2 years ago about technology in cars. I predicted that in another 3-5 years we will start to see high end cars -BMW, Mercedes, Lexus- having fully automated cars.
Just hop in, tell it where you want to go and the car does all the rest. I read an article a year ago about how Google has been testing this technology for 2 years.

This is a great thread. I have been thinking this myself lately. I do agree with most on here that technology will not kill the agent, unless they refuse to adapt. Of all the agents here, who has websites? How effective are they? Do people usually just want quotes or are you able to engage them in conversation of the phone or video chat? I have been thinking about having a website and I would appreciate any thought or suggestions. Scooter33, I had a conversation with my Dad 2 years ago about technology in cars. I predicted that in another 3-5 years we will start to see high end cars -BMW, Mercedes, Lexus- having fully automated cars. Just hop in, tell it where you want to go and the car does all the rest. I read an article a year ago about how Google has been testing this technology for 2 years.

3-5 years... If that's true, all cars will have if in 10 years. I don't care how much agents adapt to technology in their agencies, we can't control the technology in the vehicles. I really think personal P&C agencies days are numbered.

For those of us in the nonstandard market, it's not that concerning. Too many folks who need cash payment options. That isn't changing anytime soon. For my midmarket and preferred segment, I continue to succesfully close based on the fact that clients who have gone direct can identify how they've "gotten what they paid for".

The customers who want the cheapest price regardless of service, well, those aren't really long term anyway, right? Or, if they do stick long-term, probably not the customer we really want.

a couple of days ago, my internet service crashed in the area and was down about 18 hours. I really couldn't do a great deal of stuff

Same situation here except it was the CSG quote engine.

Phone worked. Had electricity. Internet good but couldn't quote rates. Used Ritter as a back up but they only show carriers where they get an override.

On days when the power goes out, or internet glitch, or anything else requiring technology I am lost.

Back