Will Upgrading Cellphone to 3G Improve Signal Strength

Cell phone service is a very personal thing. What works well for another person may not work well at all for you.

AT&T may give you a cell phone mini-tower to put in your house. I don't remember exactly what they call them, but they sell them to those who want them and a while back, they gave them to some customers with reception problems, myself being one of them.

You do need a 3G phone to make it work (or 4G). While the 'G' is about data, it does have to do with the type of tower you have and an old phone may not be able to access a newer tower. Sometimes they can just update the software in your phone, but its probably time to give in and get a new phone.

If the new phone doesn't fix it, get the microcell (looked up the name). You can find it at:
AT&T 3G MicroCell - Wireless Signal Booster - Wireless from AT&T

Dan
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
....in essense have those calls go through voip I would drop them in a heartbeat. ....

News flash.... All cell phone calls are VOIP nowadays. Phone encodes it to digital, transmits it to the tower, which puts it on a T1 line (or T3 or fiber) and off it goes as a VOIP call.

The fact that they offer mini towers to help in low signal areas is an advantage since its unlikely they will spend the $$$$$ required to put a real tower in your yard. My house is well covered by all the carriers if I go 300 yards in any direction. My particular lot is a dead zone though for all the carriers. AT&T gave me a microcell to solve it, works well.

Dan

Last edited:
I live in the San Francisco Bay Area however where my house is I don't get TV, Radio, or Wireless. So I use my internet for music and phone, and I use cable for TV. Not much other choice.

Back