Windows 8. Anyone Using It for Business

hassy99

Super Genius
100+ Post Club
nw IL
I am looking to purchase a new desktop as my main business computer for my office. I am using windows 7 pro (64 bit). Not sure I am liking 8 Any issues with. Crm. Outlook or older programs (from xp days that I still like to use). I have office 2010. So that should be ok

The biggest issues I've seen with Windows 8, is that it is not compatible with programs running Microsoft SQL Server 2005 or earlier. I know this because of Assurity's paperless "Disconnect" mode software won't function the way it should because it still uses SQL 2005.

Act 2012 has the phone dialogue show up whenever it would start. There's a registry fix for it, so you may have to search online to find the details.

Otherwise, just about everything else should work. Personally, I recommend you get Stardock's Start8 start menu application. Well worth the $5 to restore the Windows 7 start menu.

The biggest issues I've seen with Windows 8, is that it is not compatible with programs running Microsoft SQL Server 2005 or earlier. I know this because of Assurity's paperless "Disconnect" mode software won't function the way it should because it still uses SQL 2005. Act 2012 has the phone dialogue show up whenever it would start. There's a registry fix for it, so you may have to search online to find the details. Otherwise, just about everything else should work. Personally, I recommend you get Stardock's Start8 start menu application. Well worth the $5 to restore the Windows 7 start menu.

Actually I ordered a window 7 pro desktop. Just didn't like the look of 8. Am quite satisfied with 7. Aa I have already worked through the compatibility issues coming from xp. Also need the virtual xp. That pro offers (to use the old programs that I don't want to give up)

Thanks for the reply

I have/use windows 8 and have had no issues. It take a minute to get used to because it's main setup is like a tablet. However, you can still access the desktop and have it look just like the windows everyone is used to. As I said, no complaints on it.

Anyone using something like the Surface 2 with life insurance software and Compulife?

Lee

My IT dept told me as long as it has Internet explorer, green light. Note- this is just for our software which is all Internet based.

My IT dept told me as long as it has Internet explorer, green light. Note- this is just for our software which is all Internet based.

The "mobile" version of Compulife, which works with a browser, works fine on all browsers that we are aware of.

I think what Lee wants to know is if the Windows based pad/tablet will work with the "Windows" version of the Compulife program.

Has anyone attempted to install it?

The "mobile" version of Compulife, which works with a browser, works fine on all browsers that we are aware of.

I think what Lee wants to know is if the Windows based pad/tablet will work with the "Windows" version of the Compulife program.

Has anyone attempted to install it?

Bob, if you decide to offer looong time clients Surface PRO lls to beta test Compulife on them I would like to offer my help :)

Has anyone tried the Lenova Yoga 2, pretty impressive specs, full blown laptop with a tablet interface.

----------

Back